Remember that time I was on my way to see the movie Eclipse for the first time?
Remember I had a short ultrasound prior to the movie and then we'd be on our way?
Remember how my body was signaling preterm labor at only 23 weeks gestation and I never left the hospital that day....never saw the movie Eclipse?
Remember when the doctor came in and said I would be laying in bed with little to no privileges until the babies arrived? How I tried to convince him that a couple days later things would be fine again?
Remember how the only thing on TV during the summer was America's Got Talent and how I despise that TV show now? Luckily Gilmore Girls and Greys Anatomy were on everyday to save me from day time soap operas.
Remember how I hated admitting that being in the hospital was probably better than being at home because my room was nice and chilly and my meals were brought to me six times a day?
Remember when I had to drink prune juice/sprite cocktails every morning in order to excite the babies and get their heart rates going for monitoring? YUCK!
Remember how I thought I was going to knit, and blog, and read, etc... but the only thing I could find energy to do was watch 12 hours of TV a day? Lying on your side trying to read a book for an extended period of time is surprisingly difficult!
Remember how my mom flew in and surprised me in the hospital for my birthday? That was fun.
Remember when I ate a peanut butter and honey sandwich the night before I had my blood glucose test? Well...I failed and was diagnosed with gestational diabetes at 29 weeks. Who knows if the sandwich had anything to do with it.
Remember how I had to get my finger pricked 4 times a day to make sure my blood sugar was in range? They were really trying to keep me in check so I wouldn't chow down on cookies while the nurses weren't looking. :)
Remember how I got to FINALLY leave my hospital room after two months for a short wheelchair ride? That was amazing. However, it did send me into contractions so I had to lay back down right away.
Remember how Clark worried about me day and night and took care of me better than I have ever taken care of him?
Remember how we all made it to 32 weeks and 5 days before our little rascals arrived? And how, if I had not been at the hospital, they may have arrived too early to even survive?
Remember when my Dad randomly flew in the day of the birth and Clark's sister Anie and her family were also randomly driving through Dallas that day on their way to DC? We had lots of family for the big event. So random but we were so grateful.
Remember when I left the hospital after 2 1/2 months?
Well...I remember.
All too well.
One year ago today I was admitted to the hospital to try and give the babies more time to grow. Now I'm looking at three healthy 10-month olds as a result. Incredible.
Why is it that hard things are usually for our own good? Sometimes I hate that.
Just can't believe it's been a year since that scary, delicate time. While in the hospital I always said that raising triplets would NEVER be as hard as being pregnant with them (for me). So when I have days when I start to think lying in a hospital bed might be easier than what I'm doing now....I remember.
I remember that this is the EASY part! I remember that I can get up and move and shower whenever I want. I remember that I have energy. I remember that I have an appetite and can eat WHATEVER carbs I want! I remember that I HATED being away from Clark for so long. I remember that I can get up and go running in the morning and breathe the fresh morning air. I remember that I can hug and wrestle with my three babies instead of seeing them hug and wrestle each other in my belly.
But I also remember that I received incredible health care in that hospital and had a caring doctor who pushed me and wouldn't take anything less than another day. I would never wish myself back into that bed but I'm grateful for the experience, for family and friends who helped us through, and for our three sweet babies who resulted from it all!
It's good to remember sometimes.
I found your blog through Multiples and More. Your three are adorable! I have 8 month old triplets, and I had to laugh at "I could only find energy to watch 12 hours of tv daily" - I felt the same way! Glad I found your blog :)
ReplyDeleteI am getting uncomfortable with one baby in my belly so I can't imagine three! You are incredible and those babies are lucky to have such a great mom!
ReplyDeletephew. I can't imagine how hard that was in the hospital...and SO boring! I bet you're not bored anymore! They are so cute & I love reading your blog...you're a great writer.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great post- to help you remember! I know you hated it when people would say, "enjoy this quiet time to rest and sleep." I'm with you 100%- it's so much better to get out of bed everyday, go running, feel the fresh morning air, wrestle with your kids, eat whatever, etc, etc. I don't know how you did it, but I'm sure you're much stronger for it! I'm SO looking forward to hearing all about your trip to Idaho! love you. Miss you lots!
ReplyDelete