Friday, July 2, 2010

Day 1

Well folks, my time has come.

Bed rest has come my way. I started today excited to go to the doc and then head to the theater to watch Eclipse. After learning my cervix had thinned significantly from over 40mm down to 23mm, the doctor talked briefly about how he recommends hospital bed rest when the cervix length is less than 25mm. Then he left the room. Clark and I were really confused as to what was happening. He went and called my doctor and they decided on a plan of action. I was not dilated at all luckily but because I was also starting to have some 'funneling' of my uterus, as they call it, the docs told us to head down the hall to the antepartum unit. Then....I took my rightful place in bed. My pernatiologist ordered a FFN (fetal fibernectin) test to be done right away. This detects the presence of a fibernectin protein near your cervix. This protein is essentially a 'glue' that holds the sac/sacs of water to the uterine wall. Near week 39-40, this glue starts to break down allowing the sac/sacs to loosen from the wall thus preparing for delivery. Obviously this would not be ideal as I am only 23 weeks. If the test is positive (protein is present), there is a high likelihood of delivery within the next two weeks although it's not a guarantee. If negative, I would be in the clear for a while. So although my OB is not an advocate of the test because of the inconclusiveness of the results, he followed through with the peri's order. Surprise, surprise...my test was positive. Now we're nervous even though, like I said, it's not a guarantee of imminent delivery. Either way, Doc says I have a ticket here for the duration of my pregnancy.

My privileges include getting up and going to the bathroom......that's it!! You read right, no showering privileges for the time being. That should be interesting.

I got hooked up to a contraction monitor to see if there was any activity going on. There seemed to be a lot of 'uterine irritability' as they called it but no clear or consistent contractions. The nurses still felt that I needed a shot of Terbutaline to calm things down. This was probably my first of many shots. After 20 minutes there didn't seem to be a change so I got a second shot. That seemed to do that trick. As great as that medication is to get things under control, it makes my heart race and gives a feeling of breathlessness. I felt I had just ran a marathon for a couple hours and was very shaky. I tried to eat a waffle and couldn't control the shakiness enough to even put a fork to my mouth. That seemed to be when reality set in that I was at the hospital and things were serious. Luckily Clark was there to help feed and calm me. I imagine he was just as frazzled as I was.

While being monitored for contractions I also had my first round of fetal monitoring. Basically the nurses find all the babies heart beats and monitor their activity. All babies cooperated and gave a good show. I'll be monitored for 20 minutes, twice a day. All the babies were measured at the peri's office this morning. They are weighing in nicely.

Baby A: 1 pound 4 oz
Baby B: 1 pound 5 oz
Baby C: 1 pound 8 oz

Some good to the day is that I've already ordered two meals and they were brought to me in bed!! Also, I'm not in active labor so it wasn't an emergency situation. Now it's just a matter of keeping those critters in there. I'm certainly not excited to be here and frankly am quite surprised. I expected it eventually. Just not today and not so suddenly! So Eclipse will have to wait. Clark and I decided we want these babies to have a September birthday. That would put them at 32 weeks Sept 4th. So let the countdown begin!

64 days left...

14 comments:

  1. So you have to stay on sickbed in the hospital? You don't get to go home at all? I hope you don't get too restless. I guess you can enjoy this rest before they get here. I hope it all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you can do it! you've done so well so far. good job helping those babies grow! we'll keep our prayers going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry jo!!! man, you are a brave, strong soul!!! You'll get to know the ins and outs of the hospital real well by the end of this! a september birthday sounds great! what a good month! :) you guys are in our prayers! we love you so much! excited to meet these little guys! (but not too soon!! ) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a brave soul, Jo, and these babies are going to have the best mommy in the world!! Enjoy this rest time while you can....in a few months rest time will be null and void. xoxoMOM

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope those babies keep behaving themselves. Bed rest for 61 days...you can do it (because you have to right?)!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, so what movies do you like? I have tons of dvd's you can borrow. You up for visitors? Any special requests? Can I make you something? You name it, I will bring it! (Well, within reason, hehe). Email or call/text! 817-689-9878. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. What She said --^
    Books? Movies? Visits? Pepcid complete?
    214-662-1349
    What hospital and Room?
    XOXO
    <3Me

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jo! You are so brave! Hang in there. Keep eating! I miss your face.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope the hospital has the greatest DVD collection known to mankind. I wish I could swing in for a visit. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hang in there Jo Sue! You are in our prayers! It was kind of interesting trying to explain to my four year old who you were and why we were praying for you! It didn't matter though, in the end! You were being prayed for! We wish you all the best and send good vibes your way to keep those babies inside! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are amazing...61 days! You can do it! We'll pray that those three behave long enough to make it! I don't blame you for being a little bit tired of eating, that diet is crazy! But you're already being a perfect mom sacrificing everything for them! Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, already, It will all be worth it! It will go by faster than you think. Good luck with all the food, I am on a diet! I wish I could eat what you are eating and have a good excuse. haha

    ReplyDelete
  13. One week at a time! You can do it. Ice cream always packs a lot of needed calories. Your P3 twin Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  14. September 1st is my birthday so that is a great goal in my opinion! When I was induced with Kate it was a surprise too...like I thought I was going for a regular checkup and next thing I knew I was in a hospital gown. Oy. Most people hate hospital food but I LOVE it...probably because
    I don't have to make it myself. I guess by the end of this ordeal you will be sick of it so enjoy it while you can! Have you read "The Hunger Games" yet? GREAT books for a gal who has nothing else to do. I actually have a lot of books to reccommend lately so if you're interested, email me and I'll give you the scoop.

    ReplyDelete