Sunday, July 11, 2010

Living the Life of Luxury

The first week in the hospital has been nothing short of eventful. One would think lying in the hospital bed all day would be pretty boring, and believe me, at times it is. Thankfully, the days seem to go by really fast and before I know it Clark is on his way over. It is amazing how a day can be filled up with so much of nothing. For those wondering what type of nothing occurs on bedrest at the hospital, here is a list of activities I enjoy on a daily basis:

-Twice daily Blood pressure/Temperature/Lung/Leg reflex checks
-Making sure I have my moon boots going (help circulate blood in my legs, but I look a little like Michael Jackson with them on...or so Clark says)
-Twice daily contraction Monitor checks
-Baby heart beat checks
-Bathroom breaks every 30-50 minutes
-Ordering and eating 6 times a day
-Taking medications
-Waiting for Clark to come
-Drinking 100 oz of water
-TV, knitting, blogging, etc...

Just a bunch of nothingness. However, I am 24 weeks and 3 days today which is a big milestone in ANY pregnancy because the baby/babies chance of survival at this point is so much more than it was a week a go. This week is also known as the week of viability.

My last Doctor report on Friday was still unfavorable. My cervix has continued to shrink and measured at 14mm. This means no visitors and very compliant bedrest. Luckily (for Clark) showering privileges are every few days now.

I have started steroid shots which are helping with the baby's lung development. Definitely an uncomfortable shot right in the butt. However, knowing how much it will help the babies takes away a bit of the sting. On a side note, Clark is hoping this also gives them a leg up from the beginning for Pee Wee football which will be happening in a few years.

I have started having contractions this week which has really worried the doctors so I have been started on drugs to keep the contractions away. I take Procardia twice daily and have Terbutaline shots when the contractions become more regular than six in an hour. However, with three babies in there, keeping my uterus calm seems to be a harder task than the doctor had planned.

I am trying to stay as still as I can so as to keep contractions to a minimum. The next big milestone is week 26 so we are trying to make it that far. Nothing more to report and no pictures unfortunately. My camera is never handy and I don't think I want a picture of myself on the blog. Maybe I'll take them now and post them later...after the fact. :)

Thanks for all the support and prayers. Definitely been feeling the love. We've just been trying to get into a groove that works for us and where Clark can balance his home, hospital, and work life. Whew! Lots to balance. Hopefully the next Doctor report will be in our favor!

xoxo

9 comments:

  1. I'm glad the days are going by fairly quickly JoSue! I hope the next checkup has a better outlook. We'll be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope they give you lots of ice cream! Good luck and thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a great attitude, JoSue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are thinking about you guys! I know we're a few hours away- but seriously, if you need anything- let us know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! I hadn't realized that you'd already updated when I talked to you today! Good job keeping up with the blog- especially since you have to do it laying completely flat. Talk about talent! :) YOu forgot to mention your favorite shows as part of your list of activities! That's what would be keeping me going! :) Anyway, we're thinking of you and praying for you daily! Love you so much! xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are thinking of you guys and hoping that everything is going well. I hope those babies stay in their little home there as long as possible! Maybe Clark can get a pirated copy of eclipse for you? A video taken at the movie theater would completely recreate the experience since you'd be able to hear all the girls squealing in the audience:) I haven't gotten to see it yet either with little baby here, maybe when it comes out on video. Thanks for keeping us updated and all 5 of you will be in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't those steroids shots feel like peanut butter in your butt?! Your other commenters are right; you do have a great attitude! I had a high-risk pregnancy no where near this magnitude and I put on a good front but if I really admitted my feelings to myself I was a total stress case. It's just so nerve-wracking not knowing if you'll have babies in a month, two months or tomorrow. Hang in there girl, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, I forgot that you told me you were going to update your blog!! Thanks for letting us know how your days are going and please, keep the updates coming. We love hearing from you. Happy week 25 today....now on to week 26!! You can do it!! You're awesome and we love you. xoxoxoMOM

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're definitely praying for you! Hope all goes well!

    ReplyDelete