Sunday, October 14, 2012

The Beginning of the Season...

It's that time of year! Spice cake, cooler weather, holiday decorations, and pumpkins. We love love love it all. We're always looking for more and better ways to make our house feel more cozy and holiday-ish. I got our limited amount of Halloween decorations out a couple weeks ago and knew we needed some pumpkins to go along with it all. So that weekend we headed back to the same Big Orange Pumpkin Farm we went to last year and enjoyed.

 Only thing was we happened to go on the coldest weekend of the year so far so we definitely got the 'cooler weather' experience. It was only 50 degrees but since we've been dealing with intense heat since June, 50 degrees seemed like a wintry Idaho day. :) We got there right when the farm opened and headed straight to feed the goats. I receive ZERO enjoyment from this activity and think that goats are psychotic. One kept head-butting the fence so he could get more food. Zachary LOVED it. He was all about the goats...feeding them all he had and having some nice conversations with them. Leah was apprehensive until you got down with her. Caleb...no go. Not interested in any psychotic goats. So we held hands and stayed a good distance back.

 Next we headed over for our hay ride. We were pulled by a tractor and the boys were in heaven being so close to an actual tractor. Something we've only seen in books thus far. We sat on the hay, cuddled close to stay warm, and enjoyed the five minute ride. We then walked through a fun maze that the kids couldn't do last year because they were still crawling. Zachary got a little panicked at one point because he could see Clark but couldn't get to him. He resorted to just crawling under the sides of the maze and getting out that way!

 Last but not least, picking a pumpkin. The kids each chose a pumpkin (meaning they lost interest and we chose for them), we took some pictures which were terrible, and called it a day.  All the kids were super cold but Caleb had had enough by the time we got around to pictures.  He kept sucking on his hands, wouldn't engage in what we were doing, and would go limp if you tried to pull him to do something.  He didn't return to his happy self until we were in the warm car drinking some milk on the way home.

 To make up for our cold morning outside, although very fun, I helped Leah make her first lasagna and we had a steaming hot family dinner to finish the day. Leah's lasagna was pretty tasty! I tried to get her to tell me her secret but she just kept saying 'spicy, spicy,' so I'm still not quite sure.  The day at the farm was a great start to our fall, holiday season. Just counting down the days to November 1st when we can set up our Christmas tree! :)

















3 comments:

  1. I think those are great pics! It looks a little better allergy-wise than the one we went to today, being that our maze was made of HAY. Goats ARE crazy. My favorite picture is Leah in the kitchen with her apron. Little chef in training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm SO jealous of your cooler temps!! It doesn't feel like fall AT ALL here! It's gonna be 90 degrees here tomorrow and Thursday. UG! I also have very Halloween decorations and just as few Thanksgiving-ish ones, so we're totally counting down the days till we get to put up a Christmas tree and make our house feel a bit more festive! LOVED your comment on my blog btw. It would be a DREAM to have you guys as neighbors! How fun would that be to have Leah come play dollhouse and dress up with my girls, while the boys raced cars out in the back! :) SO looking forward to Rudd family reunion 2013!! Ps. I'll definitely let you know how our parenting class goes. It's my friend's mom that's teaching it. I guess she's taught it several times before. She's got a whole curriculum and everything! I'm excited!! Miss you guys! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I think goats are psychotic" my favorite quote of the month! love it! I'll keep that in mind! love you guys! fun pics! cute pic of leah in the apron!

    ReplyDelete