In all our cleaning up and cleaning out, I found papers with some entries I had made several years ago. This was a particularly challenging time with the kids (they had just turned two) and I was realllllllllllllly struggling with the day to day stuff. Clark would come home from work and all I could do was complain and whine. I think he got tired of it because he started asking me to tell him one GOOD/FUNNY thing that happened during the day. His questioning happened to coincide with a book I was reading (The Happiness Project) which suggested journal keeping of the happy things of the day.
I started, with minimal success or consistency, to write down ONE happy thing that happened in the day. Although I didn't write everyday, this exercise certainly helped me be more aware of the positive parts of my day instead of ALWAYS dwelling on the negative.
10/11/12
Initially I was bugged when Clark brought all the kids in the bedroom this morning since it was my turn to sleep in. But as we all laid there, Zachary on my right arm, I tried to cherish the quiet and peaceful moment Zachary was having because those moments don't happen often. He sucked his thumb and cuddled right up to me. Such a sweetie.
10/16/12
For the past month, Leah has been doing everything possible to avoid getting put to bed first. The reason was she wanted to be rocked. The first couple nights were fun, then she started protesting/crying each night when I put her in her crib. After a stern talk, 30 minute cry, and several nights later, she now requests the following while being rocked. She says, "Come Little Leaf, You Are My Sunshine, Baa Baa Black Sheep, then go nigh nigh." So cute and no tears!
10/18/12
I went into the closet to lay with Caleb for a few minutes while he was waking up from his nap. We had this conversation:
Me: You want me to tickle you legs?
C: Ya...tickle button
Me: Ok
C: Tickle head
Me: Ok
C: Tickle arm
Me: Ok
C: No this arm
Me: Oh ok, my mistake
C: Put in mouth (pushing his blanket toward my mouth).
I thought that was a pretty big gesture that he was letting me suck on his blanket. He must trust me! Later that day he said, "Mom is so fun!" Finally someone is getting it!
10/24/12
Today the kids and I were playing with pennies and putting them in plastic pumpkins. We were counting them and having a good time. Leah, however, kept pushing her pumpkin in my face and getting in the boys' way. So I pulled her off of me and told her she was being super-duper obnoxious! Then I started tickling her. After I turned away, she came right up in my lap again and said, "super-duper again!" That girl loves to be tickled, no matter how she gets it!
10/25/12
Today Leah, Zachary, and I went into the closet to wake Caleb up from a nap. We were all sitting there and I realized each child was chattering away about something different. Caleb was talking about when we fed the goats at the pumpkin patch, Leah was talking about how we need to be quiet in the backyard because the neighbor's dog barks, and Zachary was talking about how Caleb was sick and I gave Caleb medicine. Their minds never stop!
11/6/12
Leah has a GREAT memory. I can read a book to her once and the second time through she can tell me what happens on the next page. I read her an ABC book that had an animal for each letter. The next day she read it and I was so proud as she was getting all the letters correct! "A is for ant, B is for bird, C is for cat, D is for duck, E is for elephant, F is for fish, G is for goat, H is for monkey..." So cute. We laughed together and kept going.
11/8/12
As soon as the kids woke up from napping, I packed a picnic lunch, grabbed a blanket, and we headed to the park to break up the lunch monotony. They ate their food and played on the playground. Then I encouraged them all to get on the tire swing. This was only their second time ever on a tire swing. They loved it! After ten minutes I decided to join them. We swung in circles, laughed and got dizzy. These moments are rare when everyone is smiling and enjoying the activity peacefully. After five minutes of that, I was nauseated so I had to get off. I'm getting too old for those things!
11/9/12
This is the first year we've done Christmas music with the trio. They love bells and as a result, they love the song 'Jingle Bell Rock!' I have to play it over and over both in the house and car. They DEMAND it.
11/12/12
Today I got angry at the boys because they wouldn't leave the Christmas tree ornaments alone. I got down on my knees and sternly said, "NO!" a few times so they would understand. While I was angrily explaining why, Zachary softly put both his hands on my cheeks and quietly said, "hi mama."
11/14/12
Today Caleb wanted to say a prayer during breakfast so we folded our arms and he said, "Father...day...Diesel (train toy)...Henry (train toy)...Gordon (train toy)...Brooklyn (ward friend)...Baby Avery (ward friend)...park...leaves...grass...Jesus...amen." Hopefully he'll work in some family member names next time!
12/2/12
During Sacrament meeting today, Zachary's shoes, which have a big sole on them, made a farting noise against the wooden bench in front of us. Afterwards he immediately yelled, "Daddy tooted!" People around us laughed but Clark's face was so red because he didn't want them to think he actually had done so! Then in Sunday school, Leah was brought to us by a nursery worker because her diaper needed changing. She ran to us and yelled, "poopy pants!" Looks like we need to teach our kids Sunday voices.
12/8/12
Tonight we all got in the car to go look at Christmas lights. The kids saw Santa's reindeer, nativities, etc... and loved it. There was one house that had a musical light display so we parked and watched it. Caleb and Leah were totally into it (Leah was dancing) but Zachary was not even watching. He was sitting on my lap in the driver's seat holding on to the steering wheel while pretending he was driving. He was laughing hysterically and rocking back and forth. I couldn't help but laugh at his pure joy and delight in such a simple thing. A few days later I was helping him take a shower. He was holding onto the shower head pretending it was a phone then laughing hysterically when the water would his ear...over and over and over.
1/1/13
Over the holiday we took the kids to an indoor trampoline park. There was an area for kids seven and under that had three awesome bounce houses and a trampoline area with three long tramps. This was the first time the trio had been on a tramp and they loved it! They laughed, smiled, waved, ran all over, and had the time of their lives. Truly a 'kid' moment. One where they are exuding pure joy and happiness and you can't help but smile while watching. Clark and I smiled and laughed the whole time we were there.
1/2/13
Today I was playing kitchen with Leah and she was pretending to peel me a banana so I could have a bite. I opened my mouth and she said, "Don't eat it Mama, it's just pretend!"
1/9/13
Leah put a fake strawberry and fake pickle over her eyes and said, "I look like Santa Clause!" Then of course Zachary did the same thing but claimed he looked like Frosty.
2/25/13
Caleb put a string around his waist and a a string around his neck then claimed he was wearing a belt and tie just like Daddy. Then he said he was going to work to 'buy money.' Then he headed straight for the pantry full of food. He has a pretty skewed perception of what Daddy does for a living.
FUNNY WORDS (wish I had written down more of these):
Maggot=magnet
Booberang=boomerang
Pomegrandma=pomegranates
Yoyos=onions
These are some of my notes from The Happiness Project book that I want to hang onto and remember. I only made it through half the book because there were SO many suggestions it was overwhelming. I felt satisfied with the information I received so I took it back to the library. :)
-Four stages of happiness from an experience...anticipate it, savor it as it unfolds, express happiness during, and recall a happy memory.
-Enjoy silliness and TRY to be spontaneous
-You don't have to be efficient ALL of the time
-Tell yourself you have energy
-Smile more even if you don't feel like it
-If something can be done in less than a minute, do it
-Touch things only once
-Spare you husband minor details
-Collect things
-If you are going to be overly sensitive, be consistent
-Do things because you want to, not for appreciation
-Hug for at least six seconds
-Sing in the morning
"Oh What a Beautiful Morning"
"Good Morning Merry Sunshine"
-Don't assert feelings onto your children
-You can't choose what you 'like' to do, don't feel guilty for not doing what everyone else is doing
No comments:
Post a Comment