Saturday, June 2, 2012

I'm Haunted...

by the smell of dirty diapers.  It's every where I go.  Every room, every store, every park, every article of clothing I think has a funky smell.  Sometimes I go searching for a hidden diaper under the sink, in the garbage, in the washing machine etc...  I never find anything and I'm usually light headed from taking repeated large deep breaths.  Clark claims everything smells normal  but I'm not sure he's the best resource since his smeller doesn't work all that great.  Our diaper pail has sat outside on our back patio for well over a  year now and has since been moved but I believe that the smell of diapers has penetrated the paint on the outside walls and maybe even the window panes.  Is it possible?  It sounds insane but I believe it.  Every time I open a window or door, I smell it.  Maybe the smell has been absorbed by the dirt and grass too.  I moved the pail around the side of the house for a couple weeks but yesterday was garbage day and I threw it away.  I'm haunted remember?   So NO MORE diaper pail or diapers in or around the house.  Maybe it's time for potty training.  :)  After I threw it away, I proceeded to take some cleaner and sponge clean the outside of our house surrounding the patio.  It was like I was releasing all the absorbed smells while scrubbing because the smell seemed amplified.  However, I think it worked.  We'll see...

Enough diaper talk though.  I need to talk about our OTHER patio.  The one that hasn't been infiltrated by funky smells.  Clark's been mulling over what he wants to do with the side yard since forever.  There was patchy grass and lots of dirt.  Nothing to get excited over and a huge mess when the kids would play over there.  So memorial day weekend he whipped a sandbox together (literally it only took him a couple hours), dug a hole, leveled out the ground, laid bricks, threw down new sod, and voila!


I wish I had done a before picture because really it was just a bunch of dirt. Now it's an awesome area for the kids and shady and cool most the day! Obviously sand can be messy but at least it's in the backyard and not in the car. Unfortunately we've had hurricane rains this week so the sand is wet and unplayable. We're excited to try it out though!  Thanks Clark!  I guess this means me and the kids will need to get Clark something EXTRA special for Father's Day this year.  :) 

This stage for the trio could be summed up in one word:  parks.  We go to the park everyday because I know they will burn 3x the energy there than I could get them to burn at home playing with me.  However, park play is quite the science for us.  We can only go to certain parks since safety is a huge issue when I'm the only one around.  No parks close to creeks or roads.  Parking has to be relatively close.  The play structure can only have a maximum of TWO scary openings they could fall out of.  No bridges on the structures unless it's totally closed on the guardrails, you get the idea.  One person vs. three toddlers with little concept to height and falling can be disastrous.  As soon as I start feeling overwhelmed in any way, I pack them up and go.  I have done ample online research (close to 40 parks) for the parks around here and found two with JUST toddler structures that fit all my criteria above.  Maybe one day I'll be able to sit on the bench and read a book while the kids play.  One day...

For now, here are a couple pictures.  We're thinking of getting Zachary into gymnastics.  He was working on his Iron Cross at the park this week...


The kids liked the little ride-on toys at this park but unfortunately we won't be going back.  Disaster potential rating was pretty high and I was nervous even with Clark there to help.




The next couple videos were just too cute not to share. Caleb starting counting to ten this week and does it perfectly without help. Of course I can never catch it on camera but I got most of it. Make sure to listen to number seven. So cute. The other video is a quiz for Leah on everyone's names. She got a 75% though because she couldn't say her own.  Cute anyway.


 


5 comments:

  1. SO much to say...
    1) SUCH cute videos!!!!! That was so fun to hear them talking!!

    2) I really can't get over how much Zachary looks like Clark as a little kid.

    3) I LOVE your new sandbox area in your backyard! You're SO lucky to be married to a handyman. Clark is just like dad- he doesn't talk about projects, he gets them done! I love that trait! My girls are obsessed with sandboxes. Our friends just moved into a new house and they have a sandbox. It's tiny and it the way back corner of their backyard, but it was what my girls were most excited about.

    4) Good work finding the parks that work for you. I would go to the same park everyday for months. It DOES get better though! I bet two years from now you'll be able to sit back and watch them play. I don't know about reading though. Maybe when they're like 7 or 8!

    5) I can only imagine what changing 3x's the diapers can do to a mom! Good for you to throw out that diaper pail! :) It's so great having only a baby in diapers . I get anxiety just thinking about potty training- especially with a boy. Now having potty trained 2 girls I'm gonna be super nervous come Cal's turn. Are you thinking of potty training all 3 kids at once or one at a time?? My guess is that Leah will be ready sooner and maybe she'll motivate the boys. Who knows though. Just don't rush anything. It's not worth the stress. Definitely make sure they're ready!!!
    BEST of luck!!! :)
    love you guys so much!!! Wish we were joining you guys on your mini family reunion this summer! From what i've heard from tish, it sounds like its gonna be a blast!!! At least i'll get to see you in August! Cant wait!!! xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. so cute! I love how they all answer "mama" when you ask who you are! they got the important thing down! so true about parks- probably adds to sam's craziness right now, we don't get to the park enough! I LOVE the sandbox thing! I'm sure you've heard but babypowder works wonders on getting sand easily off skin and less mess- can't wait to see you guys soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cooool new porch!! can't wait to come play. oh, and i loove the baby talk. adorable little voices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Jo...I just loved these videos!! The counting was too cute and then Zachary at the end...jabber, jabber, jabber!! I'm still waiting for you to email me a video of the Zachary laungage the 3 of them use and understand. Wish we lived close enough for me to share some park time with all of you:)xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow- can Clark come do some handy work around here? ;) Good job on the sandbox, Clark! Loved the videos!!

    ReplyDelete