Once the small buckets are full, the big ones empty, and toddlers are tired, we'll call it a day and send everyone home with their fun stuff and a rice krispies in the shape of the number two.
Quick, easy, stress free. These are our invitation pictures...
Adorable right? Party prep was coming together nicely.
Until I actually attended several two-year-old parties during these past couple months. Now...the parties we attended were well organized and put together, food was awesome, and had great turnouts. But my kids were CARAZY and made it very clear to me that I'm not interested in throwing a party this year. Up to two months ago, I was set to go since last year we only had a tiny celebration with just us.
BTW, this is ALL personal opinion and not directed at anyone who plans to or who has ever thrown a party for a two year old.
So back to the part where my kids were CARAZY. I mean, they were around brand new toys, all of which were way fun, so that contributed to the craziness. They aren't great at sharing (contrary to what most people believe about multiples) and HATE taking turns. There was so much toy stealing, toy monopolizing, screaming AND kicking fits, me sweating while I'm trying to navigate all the drama, large toys such as slides being used incorrectly by my trio thus ruining it for the other 17 toddlers, spitting cupcakes out, rubbing frosting ALL over, refusing to participate in organized activities, yelling "no! no! no! no! no!" over and over, me still sweating while holding two kids on my hips while the third takes a turn on whatever toy, etc... You get the point.
I love my kids. And I love parties.......for other people. But I do not love three two-year-olds who act CARAZY during events that have been planned and prepped for, cooked for, and stressed about. I know I would be super disappointed if I put a ton of time AND not to mention money into a party that I think is awesome while the trio just fought, cried, and whined the whole time over silly things. Which would inevitably happen. I'm clearly an optimist. :)
Oh, I should also mention that our kids are normally NOT defiant, ill-mannered, rude, or physically abusive. But every two-year-old just has a little bit of CARAZY in them, ours are no exception, and you never know how or when it's going to present itself. Their CARAZY apparently presents at birthday parties with an intimidating number of toddlers. Maybe it's just behavior that stems from a defense mechanism. I don't know. See...I've tried to justify and figure it out and say that when it's OUR party it will be different. Then I realized there is a common thread among all this...
THEY ARE TWO...multiplied by three!
My stress tolerance isn't built up enough for hosting a party. Maybe three years will be better. Although I may attend some three-year-old parties next summer and have the same feelings. So after validating my thoughts with some family members, it's been decided that there will be NO party happening. I'm not sad about it at all either. Which is funny because, seriously, I was dead set and about to send out invites. That bucket picture is just too cute not to share though which is why I posted all this useless information about a party that isn't happening. :)
The bucket pictures will now be their official two-year-old photos and we'll take some on the actual day here in a few weeks of course. Since we're all in the spirit of buckets, I decided to share a few more bucket pictures. Who needs a pool when they can sit in big buckets of water?
Fence-front view...
Don't judge me. I've had to get creative in this summer heat and not surprisingly, they loved the big buckets to have their own personal pools.
So there is my party saga. Stay tuned for next year's party.
Maybe.
I love this! You make me laugh. I have ONE kid turning three tomorrow and her party went from a big event to a few friends coming over for lunch. Way easier and kids have fun either way. I'm sure with the twins I keep things even simpler :) Happy bday to your cuties!
ReplyDeleteI didn't do a 2 year old party either. I felt like it was too crazy with just our little family, my sister's family and mother in law here. So no regrets there. I guess let 2 year olds be 2 year olds and save yourself the stress of hoping they won't behave like toddlers. Good luck with a 3 year old party. I think I'm resigned to the age of 5 to have parties.
ReplyDeleteoh boy. hopefully it won't be too stressful at hazel's! we're probably just going to do the park again with cupcakes. easy breezy. =) happy almost 2 years kiddos!!
ReplyDeleteLOVE...LOVE...LOVE this post.
ReplyDeleteJo, your imagination and creativity is amazing. You always make me laugh:) Love you, xoxox
Oh...and these bucket pictures are soooooo cute!!
ReplyDeleteHi! Great site! I'm trying to find an email address to contact you on to ask if you would please consider adding a link to my website. I'd really appreciate if you could email me back.
ReplyDeleteThanks and have a great day!
I want to come :(
ReplyDelete