Friday, September 7, 2012

Two Years Old and They Can Dance!

As we officially cross the two-year mark today, I'm relieved and scared.  This past year has been challenging, in such a vastly different way than the first year.  Getting to age three will be a whole other adventure I'm sure.  Although I'm so grateful for our kids and their spunk and spirit, I'm not going to say that having three toddlers is easy.  I know that I'm being pushed to my limits by the trio when I get emotional with a complete stranger at Costco.  It was another triplet mom (hers are six years old) and we swapped stories and empathized with one another.  It was quite therapeutic.  
  
Two years old is such a great age.  The trio are sponges to any new information.  They want to learn and are interested in new things.  They remember song lyrics, lines from books, names of friends and family, etc...  They can even recite our four basic rules that merit a timeout:  no biting, no pushing, no hitting, no stealing (rules are subject to change at any time :).  They comprehend everything we say and are desperate for our praise and acceptance.  They are sweetly innocent and crazy passionate about whatever they are doing.  On the flip side though, two year olds are naturally very egocentric, believe everything is about them/revolves around them, and need instant gratification.  They can't help it.  It's just the way they are.  As a result, crying and screaming take up 90% of our day.  The other day I let out an exasperated sigh after Leah came running to me for the umpteenth time saying that someone pushed her.  Clark said, "it's probably so hard being a multiple...having someone in your way all the time, no personal space or toys..."  Yes, very true.   I can't blame them for their behavior but it is what it is.  Exhausting. 

Despite all the craziness, they really are so helpful and grown up now.  Two days ago our AC bit the dust and we were right in the middle of a heat wave.  105+ degree days.  It was a nightmare to say the least and our house was hitting near 90 degrees by the second day.  We spent most of the day running around in the car, doing errands, waiting for the AC repair man but unfortunately we wouldn't have cool air until the following day (waiting for a part).  So we packed up the kids last minute, picked up three pack n plays from gracious friends, and invaded a church member's house for the night.  The kids were so flexible, happy, and slept like angels.  They didn't create any stress or drama and just went with the flow.  I was so impressed and surprised.  I realized I don't give them enough credit sometimes and can be hard on them.  That whole experience was good for me to see what good kids they are and that being two-years old SHOULD be crazy, loud, and fun.   

So here's a very HAPPY 2ND BIRTHDAY to our amazingly talented trio.
The partying starts tomorrow, stay tuned for a triple-sized birthday gift!



I did promise some dancing.  They LOVE 'Call Me Maybe.'  Weird.  :)

6 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to the trio! They are adorable.

    Love the finale of the video, too. Hahaha!

    Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy HAPPY BIrthday to your crazy AWESOME kids!!! Totally meant to call today but every time I'd go to get my phone, something would happen. Then it hit 5pm my time and I knew your kids had already gone to bed! Darn! Hope it was a fabulous day! Sounds like you guys are celebrating tomorrow though. Happy birthday weekend!!! Loved the dance video! Always a party at your house! Love you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy B-day to my favorite trips!! They are awesome as are you two for hanging in so gracefully and kindly for two years! Only one more year until it starts getting easier :-) ditto what anie said about calling :( Let's skype soon! We love and miss you guys! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the dance!! I am a little dizzy tho...but pulling down the curtains at the end of the video made it all worth it!! So funny...love you guys. Sorry to miss out on the 'bounce house set up'. Dad said it was AWESOME!! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you know you can always come here when things like that happen! Can't wait to hear about the triplets birthday celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is ADAM's song too! And he does the same thing whenever it's on the radio... not joking (wish I was). I can't believe they are TWO!!! I left you a message on your birthday, and would LOVE to catch up with you. Call me anytime!!! I'm super free, as I now only work one freaking day/week (Monday, and it's not a FULL day even)

    ReplyDelete