Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Secret Diet

I've been totally lame with posting but energy levels have plummeted for me so using any sort of brain power has become difficult. However, I wanted to record a little bit about my diet and what all the hype is about!

It seems like every pregnancy book I've read, although full of encouragement to enjoy the time of eating what you want, still discourages gaining too much and overestimating your calorie requirements. So when I bought one of the ONLY books about triplets....I was sick to my stomach when I saw these figures:

Weight gain prior to 24 weeks: 36 pounds
Weight gain overall: 58-75 pounds
Calorie Intake: 4,000 calories
Protein: 200 grams
Carbs: 400 grams
Fats: 178 grams

36 pounds by 24 weeks?? 4,000 calories??? 200 grams of protein??? This seemed virtually impossible. Especially because when I read the book I was barely eating/drinking much of anything. By week 12 I had only gained two pounds and couldn't even think about eating meat. The reason and science behind the proposed weight gain is that after 24 weeks, you can't eat enough anymore to keep up with the calorie requirements of the babies...so they use all the prior stores you built up. Weird to think about but as I'm only one week away from 24 weeks, I can see my appetite and amount I eat slowly decreasing with each meal. There's not much room anymore! The weight gain won't extend my gestation period but apparently it can add half a pound, on average, to each baby at birth. When these babies will be around three pounds....half a pound is a big deal!

I have found myself having to rededicate over and over to this diet. I feel better when I don't eat as much, so it's hard, but I know that's exactly what I shouldn't be doing. I've stuck with it and will be EXACTLY 36 pounds heavier by next week! Goal achieved! Some staples in my diet these past 15 weeks have been:

Egg sandwiches
Mac N'Cheese
Quesadillas
Ensure drinks with protein powder
Lots of milk
Cottage Cheese
Greek Yogurt
Beef/Chicken/Tuna

I rarely ever eat out or have a desire to eat out. But basically I eat some sort of animal protein every day, LOTS AND LOTS of cheese, and milk. The meat has been hard because I've never been a big meat eater. Needless to say, I'M TIRED OF EATING! I hope it all pays off!

22 week shot. I'm measuring as big as a 30-week singleton pregnancy! I haven't grown out as much as I've grown in width this past month.

5 comments:

  1. Holy cow, that would be so overwhelming to need to eat so much! I just absolutely love this blog. I think your pregnancy with triplets is so fascinating...thanks for sharing it with everyone! Good luck with the eating thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that takes the fun out of it! where are the milk shakes, cookies and fun things to eat!? i GUESS you should try to be healthy at the same time. i mean, if you can't pig out when you are having triplets, when can you? haha, jk, i don't envy having to down all that food when it doesn't even look good to you. that isn't fun. love getting an update though! i was just at a baby shower this weekend for julia miller and was thinking about you a lot. you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good job, joey! you're doing awesome with this. it WILL pay off, and your babies will love you for it. keep on keepin' on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're awesome Jo! I was thinking the same thing as Holley- what about the ice cream, brownies, etc.??? When I was pregnant with Madi the big joke with Spencer and I was that I'd make a thing of brownies and when he got home from work the 9 x 13 pan would be half gone! I made the low fat kind so I felt justified with eating more! :) But hey- you should feel good- I know tons of women who gain 50-60 pounds with singleton pregnancies! Way to go with being so disciplined and dedicated! I want to know what your typical day is like. Are you super tired during the day? DO you take lots of naps? I can't even imagine how much more tired you must be with THREE babies in there! WOW! Keep up the great work (and eating:) !!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete