Well the trio turned 7 months this past week!! Just even looking back at this feeding chart...
makes me SOOOO grateful we are done with those first few months. We knew they would be hard and they definitely had many challenges. But moving into month eight feels so encouraging and exciting. Lots of milestones are being reached and the babies get more interactive each day which, of course, Clark loves. He was never too thrilled about the newborns-that-just-sleep-all-the-time phase. And no, we no longer keep track of each bottle and how much the babies drink. We did that for a long time though and as tedious as it was, we referred back to it many times, compared different days and weeks, tracked progress (or lack of), and helped keep things straight between 2 or 3 caregivers. Plus, I'm totally neurotic so I would analyze and study those pages over and over. We also had a diaper changing chart which was REALLY important because like I've said before, when we were changing 24+ diapers a day, we could hardly keep track of who did what and when. And no, I no longer keep that chart either. Sometimes I wish I did because although we change half the amount of diapers, I still can't remember any better.
You can tell that currently the triplets are just sponges to their environment and absorb every color, sound, and shape that they can. More rolling is happening and sitting is on it's way. I try to work with each of them everyday with sitting but sometimes...it just doesn't happen. They are great on their bellies but haven't grasped the concept of scooting or rocking. I put stuff out in front of them and say the first one to go for it wins! No one moves though...maybe they feel bad competing with each other and I shouldn't encourage it. :) Also, Leah no long wears clothes because she is a constant case of spit up. Leg warmers it is!
Leah has had some signs of her two upper teeth coming through but they never erupted. I've read that the uppers can come first although it's not common. She spits out her pacifier now so I know she is hurting and her gums are red and swollen. Teething with three babies? Can't wait!
Zachary has somehow managed to figure out how to roll over while still in a swaddle. I come in his room after a nap or in the morning and he is on his stomach. So he can get to his stomach but can't get back which totally worries me because his arms are tied down. Soooo.....operation "unswaddle" has started with him. He now has to learn to deal with his arms being loose. So far, the operation is not going well. A few more days should do the trick right?
Caleb has lost all privileges to sit in the Bumbo. He has gotten in trouble several times for doing this...
I seriously don't know why he does that. He arches so far that he can't get back because he doesn't have the strength. So then he screams and screams. Crazy crazy guy. No more Bumbo for him. This past week he sat up unassisted for almost 10 minutes! He's getting there! Then he got excited about the book we were reading and launched himself backwards.
Here's video of the trio playing in their triplet table to the sound of Caleb whining:
So to celebrate the babies psuedo Golden Birthday (7 months old born on September 7th), I've decided to make a Triplet's Must-Have List for the first six months at home. Remember, they came home from the NICU after 4-5 weeks so they've really been home just six months.
#1 BOPPYS
We used these EVERYDAY for sleeping the babies, feeding the babies, tummy time, elevation after eating, etc... We still use them for when we feed the babies.
#2 BURP CLOTHES
Like the old school diaper clothes...these have been GREAT for us since the babies are spitting up/throwing up/projectile vomiting pretty much around the clock. We are smart to have 5-6 within an arm's reach at any given time. If you haven't been slimed by one of the babies, consider yourself lucky.
#3 40x40 SWADDLE BLANKETS
Now the ones that are usually given/received as baby gifts are the 30 x 30 blankets. These are useful for about three weeks until the babies have outgrown them. We are big swaddlers over here so the larger blankets have been a lifesaver!! They still wrap around each baby comfortably.
#4 THICK, HOODED TOWELS
We bath everyday so good towels are a must. We used to use some thin, breathable cutsie towels but then I got practical and started using thicker ones that weren't sopping wet right when the baby was wrapped. I'm sad that these towels are becoming a bit too small. Do they make LARGE hooded towels or would I have to make those myself?
#5 BABY POWDER, BABY POWDER, BABY POWDER
I heart baby powder. I got over ten big things of baby powder and thought there was no way I would use it all. We're moving through it at a quick pace though because with the amount of diapers changed each day, a little baby powder here and there makes the babes smell extra yummy!
#6 SOUND MACHINES
Don't worry, we have FOUR sound machines at our house going all day and all night. Each baby has one set to rain in their own bedroom and there is one in the hall set to waterfall. The most annoying thing ever is when one baby cries and wakes up another. So the one in the hall helps to drown out the noise and protects everyone's sleep. Problem is, the sound of the waterfall starts to sound like babies crying so I'm always going back there thinking someone is awake.
#7 RAINFOREST ACTIVITY MAT
We have TOTALLY loved our acitivity mat. Always a good go-to for the babes when they are looking for some lights, music, and something to grab. We try to hang pretty much anything possible in there so they have a good time. Overstimulation anyone?
#8 PEANUT BUTTER and JELLY/CHOCOLATE CHIPS
No I don't eat those together but I have a PB&J everyday for lunch (hmmm....what's quick and requires no cooking is the question I ask myself) and chocolate chips are what I pop into my mouth when I need a little sugar. Plus I feel less guilty because it's not like I'm eating a King Size Snickers; however, after a whole day of popping chocolate chips, I have probably eaten the equivalent! Oh well!
#9 SENSE OF HUMOR
Is it funny when I've just spent 45 minutes feeding a baby and I end up covered in throw up? Or when I am pouring all the bottles for the day and accidentally knock one over which knocks all the others over? Or maybe when we see that the amount we spend on baby formula exceeds the amount of our own groceries for the month? No, not really. However, pretty much anything can be turned into something humorous when we think about the fact that we're raising triplets! Like the fact that I'm trying to pour 12 bottles of formula at the same time! :)
#10 GRANDPARENTS
Last but not least, we of course needed grandparents to come visit and help cuddle, hold, feed, entertain, manage, and love on three new grandbabies! I mean, we kicked up the posterity number quite a bit for them this past year...:) We're so glad they were able to take the time to come out and play with us!
The #11 must-have for triplets should be a third arm!! Never going to happen unfortunately. The most common comment I get while out with the trio is, "wow, you've got your hands full!"
well yes.....yes I do :)
Hey JoSue, I read all the time and just want to say how impressed I am. You are doing a fantastic job and the babies are just too cute!
ReplyDeleteWith four kids, I get the "You've got your hands full" comment quite often as well, and I've taken to just responding with "Full of blessings!" That usually stops people from making other nosy or negative comments. :)
Also, hooded towels are super easy to make, and I am NOT a sewer. I like this tutorial: http://www.makeandtakes.com/easy-hooded-bath-towel
Take care!
So happy to finally have a minute to sit down and read your blog!! It made me smile,laugh and even cry a little. Now I know why you asked me for the picture of me and all 3 babies:) Thanks for the shout out!! And I loved your next project....operation unswaddle!! You are always so cleaver in your writing. You need to consider writing that triplet book of hows and whys!!
ReplyDeleteWe missed you so much this past week....and thought about you and the babies every day. Wish we lived close enough to come visit and snuggle babies more often...even babysit.
xoxoMOM/Gram...Gmama
They are getting so big! I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I think you are amazing. Doing all of that with a sense of humor is a pretty big accomplishment. So way to go JoSue! (and hooray for cute babies ;)
ReplyDeleteGood thing you are an organized person, can you imagine doing it any other way? :)
ReplyDeleteThey are so cute playing at their table. They will be sitting and crawling in no time, it's so fun!
You prob don't remember but at my baby shower for Shay your Mom gave me a towel with a wash cloth that matched sewed onto it like a hood. I got two of those at that shower and I used them until Shay was like 5 and they had holes in them. You could totally make them, or would be a great Birthday gift for your Mom to give them. :) Just throwing that out there. haha
I haven't seen your parents forever!! They look great! How many grandkids do they have now?
So sweet Joey! I think the pic of Caleb is a hoot! It's amazing how old they are already and it's fun to look forward to all the new adventures they will bring (except for teething and potty training and the terrible 2's....ha!) Can't wait to see you guys again!
ReplyDeleteI had to laugh at Caleb in his Bumbo...Hannah started to do that too! It seems like so long ago though. I love that picture of you with them all at the end. I love when you throw some pictures of you in there! You are awesome and I can't believe how much self control you have to just eat chocolate chips! Love you!
ReplyDeleteI love reading your blog. :)
ReplyDelete