Monday, April 4, 2011

Long Weekend With Dad...

Clark was able to take a long weekend and spend some time at home with us. It was so fun to have him all to ourselves ALL day long. He's always so full of energy, just like the kids, so it's always interesting to see what he will come up with next.

First off, after Clark had gone on a bike ride himself, he pumped up the boys up for their own workout. You have to have a sweatband and muscle shirt right?


Caleb started with some free weights and was taunting Dad saying it was too easy.


Zachary trying to be stealth and slip away before his turn...


He was caught though and Dad got him going on the push up bars. Proper body positioning is important!


Now down......


Unfortunately he didn't make it back up. So we'll count it as 1/2 push up and try to improve next time! :)

Leah just laughed at the boys saying how grateful she was to be a girl. No need to worry about being rough and tough....just cuddly and sweet. She's already got that down!


So last weekend we bought a large canopy for our backyard cement patio and it is so nice! Not only does it block the terribly hot afternoon sun from our family room, but it allows us to get outside without having to drive somewhere. The weather was great all weekend so we spent lots of time out there and the kids loved it ....for a time at least. What kid likes anything for more than 30 minutes really? Clark loves it too because he can ride his bike on the trainer out there or just bum around in the yard while we are close by. Sorry, no picture from the outside. Just from the view of Clark's lawn chair where he was sitting.


I was rubbing Caleb's arms after his hard workout.


Not only do we do lots of playing when Dad is around, but we do lots of organizing, cleaning, or whatever project needs to be finished. We decided, since both of us were home, that we'd finally do a large batch of homemade baby food. Now, I don't claim to be a Suzy Homemaker or anything. I don't spend lots of time in the kitchen and the meals I make are very simple. However, Clark and I both know that there are some savings in making homemade baby food. Obviously we won't be able to do it as much when the trio starts eating more finger foods but for now, when they are eating foods of a smooth consistency, we're all for it.

So we busted out the food processor I received for Valentine's Day and headed to Sprouts Farmers Market. We went there because green beans were on sale plus their produce is just better in general. We bought green beans, sweet potatoes, yellow squash, carrots, mangos, and bananas.


So here is where the savings are and I'll just do it with the veggies since we haven't made the fruit yet. Try to follow along. With an accountant as a husband, that can be hard sometimes.

1 jar of baby food (4 oz)= ~$0.99

3 Sweet Potatoes=$3.63 yielded 60 oz
3 lbs Green Beans=$3.00 yielded 40 oz
2 Yellow Squash=$1.16 yielded 16 oz
2 lbs carrots=$2.00 yielded 28 oz

Grand total=144 oz of food for $9.79

144 oz/4 oz (each jar of food from store)=36 jars

36 jars at $0.99 each=$36

$36-$9.79=$26.21 in total savings

When we calculated it out for an entire month of food assuming the babies were each eating three jars (9 jars a day for everyone), the savings was even more significant. Putting out money for the processor was hard, but with what we'll be saving each time we use it, we'll only have to use it 2 1/2 times and it will be paid for!

Ok, enough math for the day? I just wanted to note all the numbers so I could remember. Especially when produce goes on sale I'll be able to know what's going to get me the most for my money.

All in all, the whole process took about two hours from getting the processor out to putting it away. Really, all the time is spent in the prep (Clark did all the prep :). We're excited though and the kids could care less if the food if from the store or made at home. We're just happy to be saving a few bucks!

9 comments:

  1. Hey JoSue- have you thought about moving from Simply Thick to ground rice or oatmeal cereal for thickener? That is what we did once they hit 6 months and eating other food to increase their calorie intake and save money. I think it turns out to be about a fifth of the cost of the Simply Thick. They tolerated it very well and it helped with weight gain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yahoo for homemade baby food! totally worth it! and it gets easier every time you do it. :)

    and you are so gorgeous. love the pics of you and the babies. i bet its fun to have a few since you're usually BEHIND the camera

    ReplyDelete
  3. JoSue, you looks so great! I like it when you put up pictures of yourself. (In a noncreepy way). I am glad you are doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look just like you did 6 years ago back when I knew you! (Brownstain) hee hee :D ie beautiful
    I'm making baby food too. I have read there are more nutrients in the food if you bake it (squash, sweet potatoes). Just a thought. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So fun to work out with the kids, Roxy does pull ups everyday for about 6 months. She can almost do a full one by herself. hahah She loves it! She does 4 for her age.
    That's cool about the baby food. Sounds like a lot of work, but worth it I'm sure.
    The babies are soo cute, getting so big already!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Homemade baby food is worth the effort in SO many ways!!! As they have been introduced to all the foods, you can start mixing the foods when you thaw them. My boys really liked the veggies when I added garlic & other spices. I am still amazed that you have the mindset to take photos & blog while caring for 3 infants, you ROCK & I LOVE reading it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, new to your blog. My BBG trips are 2.5 yrs old and reading this takes me back! They really grow so quickly and each stage is so much fun. Just take tons and tons of photos and videos. The videos are great for the kids to watch. Mine don't believe it's them as babies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How much do I LOVE reading your blog?! Love it. I totally miss you. You & Clark are so creative and hilarious. How freakin cute are your kids?? They're growing up wayyy too quickly. My goodness. You look BEAUTIFUL of course too. Hot Mama!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love reading your blog and enjoy all the sweet pics of your babies. You guys are doing such a great job!
    PS. Thank you very much for your comment. It meant a lot.

    ReplyDelete