Bear with me.
To start off the smattering, here is the sweetest picture of Dad giving his hugs and kisses before he goes to work in the morning. The babes are already in bed when he gets home so he doesn't see them again until the next morning. They LOVE when he is around. Seriously, I cannot get the babies to laugh for me during the day. Smile, yes. Laugh, no. They just look at me like I'm crazy. Dad, however, barely has to make a funny face and they are all in heaven just giggling.
So sweet though. I love it.
What's funny about a picture of him with three babies is that whenever he and I would come home (prior to having triplets) from a big family gathering, we'd always talk about how crazy it was with the increasing number of kids in our family. It would definitely make us nervous to have kids because of all the chaos we would witness. Going from our quiet apartment with the two of us to all the noise/crying/fighting etc... was a bit overwhelming. However, I would always sweetly remind him that babies come one and a time and we would gradually be introduced to the chaos so having kids shouldn't be scary. Ha! OH THE IRONY!
What's not ironic is BYU sports. The trio just wants to say how bummed they are that the Cougars are out of the NCAA tournament. Leah was especially sad because she can't see Jimmer on TV anymore. After a few hours of crying, we finally got her calmed down.
Ok, so on to Zachary.....he's crazy. He is SO social, smiley, and giggly. But....he's crazy. He is super high energy. His legs are ALWAYS going and he usually gets pretty aggressive with any toy that he's encountered. He's also a very lean guy. When he gains weight I always wonder where it goes.
We're working on the weight gain. We tried to wean him off the thickener this past week. He actually did well and we were so excited! The reason I decided to do that now was because he was refusing his bottle and only drinking a little bit WITH the thickener. So I thought maybe he was trying to tell me the thickener needed to go. However, he has regressed again without the SimplyThick and has started crying more as well as acting like he was having some pain during/after eating. SOOO, the thickener is back and his mattress has been inclined again. I've committed to the SimplyThick again at least for another month then we'll see what we can do. The truth is that he just really doesn't have that big of an appetite. He's always moving and grooving and food is on the bottom of his list. It's a challenge to get him to eat and every four hours I'm nervous because I don't know what's going to happen. Good news is that he didn't projectile vomit at all while off the thickener! So maybe that aspect has improved but the reflux hasn't. Currently he's eating 24 oz/day IF he finishes his bottles. So my big question is if his eating habits now are indicative of how he will be later...picky, finicky, stubborn. Oh gosh.
ANYWAY, so he LOVES to stand. He's got really strong, lean legs and has always been good at standing. We created this little area he can stand in between the couch and the ottoman. He leans forward and backward and has the time of his life.
However, lots of times I'll be paying attention to another baby and all the sudden he disappears between the pillows! It's so funny because he just chills out in there until I help him back up. I tried the other two babies between the pillows and they couldn't stand on their own. So for now, that's Zachary's fun thing to look forward to everyday. Seriously, he loves it.
Caleb...he's also crazy. Not quite as much as Zachary but still crazy. Like I mentioned earlier, he's in a screaming phase. To add to that, he doesn't take a pacifier. So I have nothing to stick in his mouth to stop his madness. Sometimes I so wish he would take one but alas, it's just not his thing. Anyone out there with a non-pacifier baby? What did they like? What was soothing? I swaddle him at night so he can't really hang on to a blanket or anything.
Here are the boys playing in the exersaucers. Zachary is trying to get Caleb's attention but Caleb is too involved with what is in front of him. Caleb is a VERY serious player when it comes to toys. Instead of a third exersaucer, we have a jumparoo. Leah was in that across the room. The babies don't like it as much and really just don't get it. Maybe that time will come.
Now that I think of it, they're all a bit crazy. :) Leah is crazy about her food. Loves it. Can't wait more than five seconds for it. I'd snap a picture but usually I'm scrambling to get her bottle warm while she wails. So impatient.
Moving on to the leg warmer dance. My sister saw some adorable leg warmers and sent a few pairs to Texas for us! I've always thought they were so cute and am glad I finally got to try them out. What's funny is that Zachary's are so baggy! I'm sure you can guess the legs that belong to him!
So the key to getting the babies to smile is to recite the rhyme, "One, Two, Buckle My Shoe." Inevitably, they will all crack a smile when you say buckle. Another way is the beginning of the book, "Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You?" So if you were wondering how I got all to smile in the next picture, that's how. It doesn't matter what Leah is crying about, if you start reciting one of those, she gets quiet and starts smiling. Whatever works right?
Then they all decided to break out into a synchronized leg warmer dance! "Ok everyone....right hand out!"
Alright, I'm done. Maybe I'm going a bit crazy too being around all their craziness.
I would just like to add one more thing since April Fool's day is coming up. Last year for April Fool's we announced to the majority of our family that we were having triplets. Of course no one believed us until the next day when we kept saying we weren't kidding! Pretty funny. Rest assured though that this April Fool's, no one will be getting a pregnancy call from us. :)
oy... i'm sorry caleb isn't a binky dude. van wasn't either. and he screamed for the 1/2 of the day for the 1st 4 months of his life. the only thing that worked for him was food and me holding him. neither one are good solutions for you with three babies. you really are my hero! what lucky babies you have.
ReplyDeleteJo. It has been a long time. Why can't we all just live at brownstone again? I love reading the updates. I can tell just from the blog that you are a great mother. I hope that everything continues to go well. Tell Clark hi.
ReplyDeleteThe picture of all three of them laughing is the best! So CUTE!
ReplyDeleteLove those leg warmers! I got out Addison's too like a week ago. Does Caleb like to eat his hand? Addison seems to like that more than her paci lately so I don't push the paci anymore unless she seems like she wants it. She really just likes to suck on everything so those teether toys are great!
ReplyDeleteJoSue! Your babies are SOO cute! I LOVE seeing your pics! (hope you don't mind, I added you to my blog)Hope all is well! :)
ReplyDeleteJames is not a fan of the pacifier, either. He'll take it occasionally, but it lasts all of two minutes before he's over it. He's also going through a screaming phase. He's actually a really good baby most of the time, but when he does get upset, he doesn't cry so much as scream like a pterodactyl. He chews his hands & sucks his thumb a little though & that's how he calms himself down. I usually have to end up holding him if he can't manage to calm down on his own, but like Britt said, that won't really work for you very often. Hope you find something that will soothe his screams or that he outgrows that really soon! :)
ReplyDeletethey must be getting ready for all of the synchronized swimming they'll be doing this summer!!! =)
ReplyDelete