Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Appointment...

Well turning one was definitely exciting...and yes, the second reason why maybe we shouldn't be parents to triplets was the backwards 'Z'. We didn't even notice until that night while going through pictures. Sadly, the babies were already in bed. Moment gone. There just wasn't a way we could recreate the whole thing with an actual 'Z' so unfortunately, Zachary got the wrong letter on his first birthday.

Yikes. We even molded the rice krispie together and neither of us noticed. Funny.

Anyway, a one year celebration definitely wouldn't be complete without a one year pediatrician appointment! Since our nine-month appointment went so smoothly, I debated whether I should bring an extra person. I knew they were getting more shots than the last time though so I decided an extra set of hands would be nice.

Two words: complete mayhem.

The babies were in hysterics before the shots even happened. When the doctor sat them up on the table to be examined, they completely lost it. I gave them their bottles BEFORE their shots just to calm them down. That didn't work. They wanted more and I didn't have more. I usually have to fight with them to drink anything at home! So I went into the lobby and got the babies some suckers figuring if there was something in their mouths, they wouldn't be screaming. It worked! Then after about 30 seconds Leah and Zachary were totally onto my strategy and threw the suckers on the ground....then rubbed their hands everywhere which were covered in sucker stick. Caleb was doing great but he was a mess as well. I've heard from several people in the past couple months that suckers are a great way to calm your baby and keep them occupied. All I can say is that with triplets...that is not true. At least one year old triplets.

Basically the babies were still hysterical and the exam room was covered in stick. Including me. The shots heightened the chaos and they were no where near calming down. Caleb was actually pretty brave, as he always is, and mostly whined but the other two just wanted me to hold them. That made it hard for the person who came with me to help.

Point is, suckers are not a good idea unless babies eat them naked in the backyard.

Here are the stats:

Leah


Height: 29 inches (40th percentile)
Weight: 21 lbs 8 oz (50th percentile)
Head: 18 inches (65th percentile)

Zachary


Height: 29 1/2 inches (25th percentile)
Weight: 17 lbs 14 oz (less than 3rd percentile-he has yet to hit the curve)
Head: 17 3/4 inches (25th percentile)


Caleb


Height: 31 inches (75th percentile)
Weight: 22 lbs 14 oz (60th percentile)
Head: 19 inches (90th percentile)

There's only a five pound difference between the boys but apparently those five pounds can shoot a boy clear up the chart percentile.

Here they are in all their glory....helping me unload the dishwasher. Luckily I was able to catch this picture before they found the knives. :)

5 comments:

  1. haha! barbara didn't say it was crazy like that! sounds fun! hazel would've been stealing everyone's suckers for sure.. even off the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man I don't know how you do it!!! Cute pictures though. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! For some reason, three one year olds seems like a heck of a lot more work than three 6 month olds. Am I right? That picture of them all around the dishwasher just makes me realize how outnumbered you really are! Good luck surviving this week with Clark gone. GIve me a call if you start to loose your mind. I lost mine a couple days ago and we still don't get to see Spencer for 3 more weeks!!!!! Don't know how we're gonna survive! love you tons! Can't wait to see you all on the 8th!!! SOOOOO EXCITED!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! I actually thought of you recently when we went in for Sam's 18 month and Ezra's 3 month appointment- it was complete mayhem..the nurse had to wrestle sam down for the shot and said "he's freakishly strong" all the while I had ezra in the bjorn and holding down sam's top half and ani's trying to "help" I don't know how you survived! way to go! yes, the dishwasher pic- crazy! this year will be BUSY!! love you guys! the kids are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see the backwards Z picture! I can't believe how much they are growing!

    ReplyDelete