With the start of this the second year of life for the trio, we've already dove in head first to the beginning challenges of TODDLERHOOD. First up, another nap transition. Because I don't have video monitors and have a loud sound machine in the hall, I never knew when the babies were falling asleep for their naps. I'd leave them in their rooms for at least 1 1/2 hours before getting them out, if they were awake, or waking them up at that time to stay on a decent daily schedule. The past few weeks I've been having to wake the babies from both naps each day and when I did, everyone was just neurotic. I'd take a baby out to the living room and before I could take a couple steps to go get another one, the first would already be screaming. I'd leave anyway and bring the second baby and as I walked away for the third, the first two would be screaming a lovely chorus. Point is, post nap was just turning into craziness and lots of crying. They were not ready to get up which meant they were playing in their cribs longer than I realized.
So one day we just decided to eliminate their first nap. We kept them up as long as they would tolerate it and the day actually went great! They took to the transition well although we've had a couple bad days since. Of course they are super tired by bed time but in a month or so they'll be pros at this whole one-nap gigue. I'm not entirely sure they were 100% ready to give up the nap but I would rather just make the change rather than have a month or two of the awkward transition and back and forth stuff.
Second challenge: green beans. They don't like them. They spit them out and gag. They squish the beans in their hands then throw them off the table. Not happening. Now...I HATE HATE HATE green beans. I used to hide them in my napkin. There are foods that I really encourage the babies to eat but green beans are not one of them. I've offered the green beans three times with the same result so I think I'll try one more time in a couple weeks then call it good. No harm done. I hate buying them anyway. :)
Third challenge: personality conflicts. We are seeing more and more how aggressive and determined Caleb is. At the same time, though, he is a total introvert. He plays well alone and gets REALLY upset when someone interrupts him or takes his toys. However, he's the first to bulldoze over whatever to steal a toy from Zachary or Leah. He wants to be in control of everything around him which often results in the other babies getting upset.
Leah plays really great with her brothers. Her issue is she doesn't know when to draw the line. For example, the boys think it's funny when she lunges forward at them with toys in her hands. After a few lunges the boys are obviously over it but she is having a ball. So she keeps doing it. They usually start crying and she is laughing hysterically because she thinks they still like it. She's one we have to often pull on the reigns.
Zachary...he's just sensitive. WAY sensitive. Every fall, bump, bruise, stolen toy, loud noise, etc... results in crying and running for Mom. This doesn't always mesh well with Leah's game-playing and Caleb's toy-stealing. I try to be patient with the crying but I'm not entirely sure how to handle it. Ignore or soothe? Who knows.
So the one-year-old challenges have started and we're dealing with them as they come. This should get interesting! Just as the challenges come though.....so do other fun, exciting, NEW things.
Like baby bowties from my incredibly talented seamstress friend. So handsome!
And walking!!! We all knew Zachary would be first. He's cruising around now probably 75% of the time and loves it. He started taking steps before his birthday but really took off afterward. He looks smaller than ever when he's working those little legs around the house.
And playing in the backyard because the weather is beautiful! We got a waterwheel table that the kids gather round and throw toys into. We only fill it with water when the afternoons are warm but it could also hold sand. Not sure how excited I am about sand being tracked through the house.
Oh ya....and FIVE teeth! Unfortunately Zachary took the trophy for first tooth as well so Mr. Caleb came in second. However, there is no shame in this because he got all four top teeth and now one bottom tooth is coming through. Yikes! He's been working hard! (Leah has NO signs of any teeth still)
These kids are crazy...but so much fun. We'll see what new challenge/change arrives this week!
Cute babes! They are getting so big!
ReplyDelete