Saturday, January 21, 2012

Stupidity Moment #2

At the trio's one-year-old doctor appointment, I gave them all suckers so they would stop crying after their immunizations. Stupidity moment #1.

My second moment of stupidity happened this past week. It was such a beautiful day outside, overcast, and warm. So I wanted to do an outdoor activity to take advantage of the weather. A friend of mine mentioned a fun sand-play area just north of here. So I loaded the kids and met her and her daughter that afternoon. However, after arriving we realized that the sand was wet...I guess it had rained the night before. Didn't know that. I hated the idea of turning around and going back home after making the drive, loading the kids, dealing with their hoopla, getting my gigantic stroller in and out of the van, etc... So I decided to make the best of it and let the kids run around anyway. I know, I always make it sound like such a big deal to go anywhere but some days, it just is. Just this morning we ran to the store and it was smooth and easy. So it all just depends.

They actually enjoyed poking the sand, running around, and feeling the sand on their feet but only for about ten minutes. That even included the time they spent at a fun little puddle. They were soaked and it was really windy so I imagine they were cold. Then Leah decided to rub sand in her eyes. Lovely. So she was done, crying, and wanting to leave. I had to spend time with each baby at the car trying to wipe them off so while I worked on Leah, the other two were having meltdowns in the sandbox thinking I was leaving them. Have you ever tried to wipe wet sand off three screaming babies? Well...it wasn't working and they were so mad at me. I was covered in sand and pained by the fact that there would be sand ALL over the car seats and car because I just couldn't get it off. Leah's eyes were all bloodshot and I'm sure they hurt. The stroller was covered in sand which subsequently got all over the seats and floor of the car (since I have to fit the stroller in perfectly between the front and back seats). I don't do well with messes. For example, I wipe their dinner table after every food item I offer them because I can't stand the layered, dry, sticky mess at the end of the meal. So all the sand EVERYWHERE was just killing me.

We did enjoy watching the kids and laughing at their fascination with the sand and water but unfortunately, I had to call it a day and ditch my friend after a very short play date. Her daughter was in worse shape than mine as far as being soaked and covered in sand! She told me that she used baby powder to dry the sand and wipe it right off. Genius. I have gobs of baby powder at home. Too bad I didn't have it with me.

Point is, not my best decision. It had potential to be fun but I think the wind made their wet clothes cold and Leah's eye rubbing sealed the deal.

Next time we'll make sure the sand is dry. :)




Now giving suckers to the kids while they played in the wet sand would have been an interesting combo. :) I'm sure my third moment of stupidity is soon to come.

Moving on.

Leah decided she was done with crawling and is a full-blown walker now. All in a week. I never thought walking could be so cute but she really is a sight to behold. Especially when she is jamming out to our Justin Bieber songs.

Here she is, in all her walking glory (while holding her dog clutch)... She was walking toward me so I counted to three and she gave me this look...


On Sunday when all three were dressed for church, it was the sweetest thing ever to see all of them so clean cut, hair combed, and walking around like little human beings. I had the same feelings when they were all crawling together. Just a moment of awe. This was the first Sunday she didn't have to try and crawl in a dress. I'm sure she was thrilled.


I have been feeling worried about them becoming more civilized as they approach 18 months. Like actually using a fork and eating from a bowl. Let's try to forget the fact that sometimes, before I catch them, they take chewed food out of their mouths and feed it to their neighbor. Oh boy. The fork is a long way off so I figured we'd start with bowls. After a good teaching session, this is what they apparently took from it.

We're still working on it. I only put diced fruit and pasta in the bowls. Those seem to be the safest and they have actually done well. It's just the after party that's a problem...




We've been dealing with a lot of pre-two-year-old behavior over here. They're not quite old enough to reason with, take away privileges, or keep in time-out, so I am constantly spouting off reprimand after reprimand. I try very hard to not yell while I'm correcting someone and some days I do great. But then there are the 'other' days when I feel like I might check into the loony bin. What it all boils down to is toy stealing. Can you believe that? I know most people think that since they are multiples they learn how to share very early. Well folks, this just isn't true. They are still normal individual toddlers who go into a screaming frenzy when a toy is taken. I do not understand the toddler phenomenon of needing a toy right when someone else seems interested in it. Then as the stealer gets the toy, said stealer doesn't want it anymore. Wow. I have come to believe that toddlers have three eyes: one on their toy, one on me to make sure I don't leave the room unexpectedly, and one on their surroundings. Caleb will seemingly be in his own world playing quietly then all the sudden be in the corner tackling Zachary for a truck. Doesn't sound so bad right? Well this starts about 5 minutes after they get up in the morning and ends when I put them down at night. ALL DAY LONG. I know it won't get any easier either so I'm just choosing my battles and enjoying the ride into full toddlerhood. Seriously, the loony bin might be in my near future.

There are moments, though rare, that the kids are all doing the same activity....peacefully. Like looking out the back window at the steam coming out of the dryer vent on a cold day.

Thank you dryer vent for a couple minutes of peace. Best gift you've ever given me.

5 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog. I am one of Tisha's friends. I just wanted to tell you that if you douse a sandy baby in baby powder it will dry the sand so that you can wipe it off. I always have a big walmart cheep brand thing of baby powder in my car for sandy baby moments. Hope that helps next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry I didn't give you the baby powder to try as you were putting all the babies in! That's my fault! I love the video, so funny! Your kids are so much fun to be around even with all the toy stealing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a saint for letting them in the wet sand! Seriously, I'm sure they had ball, but I can totally imagine the crazy aftermath x3! YEs, for both Adley and Sam, age 18 months-3, with it gradually getting easier after the 2nd b-day, (well, let's hope that's the case for Sam) were the hardest, just as you mentioned, they can't reason yet, but have big opinions, emotions, etc. lots of fits, crying, screaming, throwing, craziness. Ani didn't get hard until 3, which was a nice break, but her phase was rough too, in a different way :-) So hang in there!! In two years it's going to be awesome, you sitting on a park bench reading a book while the kids totally play together at the park, and independently eat their PB&J...it will be AWESOME! :-)
    btw: The kids look adorable. Clark told me about the pic of Leah at the end....totally an Ani face! LOVE it! love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally want a 5x7 of the picture of Leah holding the dog clutch sent to costco for me. It is just too cute to pass up. I need to let you know about the one year old pics too. Why don't you just pick the cutest ones out for me...one of each of the kids individually (vertically 5x7), one of all three together (horizontal 5x7). Antioch Costco under my name. Love you, I hear your mom is coming for a visit. So fun!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just watched this video again and loved when Zachary took Leah's bowl away...there was a pause then Leah took it right back and said "NO, NO"!! She knows her place in the family and won't be bullied:)
    xoxoMOM

    ReplyDelete