Sunday, April 29, 2012

Frenemings...

I just made that up.  It's a triple combination of words.  Fitting for our trio of toddlers.

Friends.
Enemies.
Siblings.

All three roles can be played out in a matter of minutes around here.  One minute they are friends, the next they are tolerant siblings, the next they are biting/screaming/crying/toy stealing enemies.  However, just as fast as they become enemies, they turn back into friends and are reading books to each other or going 'nigh-nigh' on the kitchen floor with their bedtime buddies...



Sadly, my mood can change just as quickly as theirs and I'm easily caught up in the emotion of the moment.  Usually not in a good way either.  Seriously, the ups and downs in this house are insane.  I'm working on being more of a 'constant' for them and more predictable in how I react to things.  Key words:  working on.  Poor kids.  Some days I think a tantrum is funny and other days it's inappropriate.  They never know what to expect.  Poor Clark too.  He never knows if he's coming home to a stressed- out nutcase or a calm, cool wife.   We pray each night as a family that we can be more understanding and patient with each other.  Most importantly, that we can work together.  This period of learning manners, communication, and appropriate behavior is slow going but I think we're making progress everyday.

The kids attend a church nursery for two hours each Sunday.  TWO HOURS when Clark and I sit peacefully.  The other hour is another story but again, they are learning what to do and how to act at church so we are getting there.  What's interesting is that they don't play with each other at all in nursery.  They act more as siblings than friends and totally do their own things.  Leah plays with the kitchen, Zachary is a wanderer, and Caleb finds a couple good cars and sits in the middle of the room.  I'm glad they get some time 'apart.'  Anyway, they've been coloring in nursery so I was feeling like I needed to do some of that at home as well.  That way I can reinforce teaching them how to sit, hold a crayon (not eat it), and draw on a paper.  I should probably get some cool coloring books now that I'm sitting here thinking about it.

I found that washable markers are easier for them to use, albeit much messier, but with the markers they don't have to push so hard to draw.  It took me about six minutes to tape all three papers down.  Then six minutes for them to get tired of drawing and five seconds after that for the marker stealing to begin.  Synchronized drawing anyone?

They trio was having a grand old time in the backyard with the sidewalk chalk one day, acting as the best of friends, but Caleb started collecting all the chalk. Then Zachary stole from his collection. All the while Leah was trying to sneak inside and draw on the tile. So after battling all of that I decided that chalk time was over. All the sudden I was the enemy and this was the result...
Then during dinner they were all kisses and loves. Such a cute video...
The ups and downs are difficult to keep up with. Moreso sometimes than all the physical stuff. At the end of the day though, they are siblings who love each other unconditionally no matter how many instances of enemy attacks arose. Beyond the sibling love, however, I hope they can grow to be great friends when they're older even though they are already so different from each other. We should probably start including that in our nightly prayers. :)

6 comments:

  1. Those videos are hilarious! I totally agree with the ups and downs and I only have one child :) You're a great mom though and we love hanging out with you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your comment on my blog Jo. It's nice to know I'm not alone in the craziness of life and trying to figure it all out! :) This post cracked me up because its what I experience everyday as well. LIke Clark, Spencer never knows what he's coming home to. I felt so bad the other day that I asked him if he dreaded coming home to the complete craziness- a crying baby, fighting daughters, disasters in every room and a stressed wife. But there truly isn't a better sound then Spencer walking through the door! Mom and dad are actually taking the girls after we bless Calvin next week. I'm SO looking forward to a whole week where I can get organized, regroup, and reenergize myself as a mom! I do so wish we lived closer so the girls could have cousins to play with. Elle was super excited to watch these videos. Whenever I mention your kids names, my girls want to hear all about them. Love you tons!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this article about being a patient mom last year:

    http://inspiredtoaction.com/2011/02/how-to-be-a-more-patient-mom-in-just-24-hours/

    And ever since, I have tried to keep the mantra "Be like a wall of jello" on repeat in my head. :) Some days it works better than others, but I'm trying!

    The tiplets are adorable, even in the crying video that made me laugh out loud. Love that you thought to capture that moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh bless your heart for having to listen to THREE breakdowns... have you had all of them flopping on the floor at once? hazel's getting pretty good at the arch back. =) oh, toddlers. you love em, and you... love em. ha

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohgosh jo--- sam is driving me absolute nuts right now and I only have one in the pyscho stage. Yes, pyscho. I actually just gave adley and ani a pep talk tonight about how "sam is 2 so he's psycho so you all need to pull a little more weight while I deal with his craziness." Couldn't imagine 3 toddler tantrums at once. You guys are absolute saints. I hope it will pass quickly for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the videos! Thanks for keeping it real! My favorite part was Caleb crying hysterically and you let out a giggle. :) I love you Jo! You are my inspiration!

    ReplyDelete