Sunday, May 1, 2011

Changing by the Second...

These three little humans just amaze me. Everyday I'm in awe of their curiosity and development. They are changing right before our eyes and it's incredible. This stage has been fun for us because it's obvious they think their Dad and Mom are the greatest people in the world (unfortunately I know that will change come the teenage years)! They just love our attention and affection and they are able to reciprocate with their own affection and excitement. I also love this stage because even on those days that frustration is high and patience is thin (every baby has their moments), they always forgive me of my weaknesses and still give me the sweetest smiles. So rewarding.

The babies are so curious lately. They love to explore anything and everything. They love to touch our faces and pull our noses/ears. They are hilarious when we eat in front of them because they can't take their eyes off us! Here's my view in the morning during a bowl of cereal.


Believe me, there is nothing interesting about my eating of bran flakes but they can't seem to concentrate on anything else!

They are definitely more aware of each other and probably questioning why two other babies are ALWAYS around! Zachary is definitely the worst when it comes to invading personal space. He started a wrestling match with Caleb...


Then Caleb cried mercy and I had to come save him.


I'm not sure what game they were playing here but regardless, they just like to stick their hands in the closest mouth, suck on feet that don't belong to them, pull ears, and poke eyes. We are already having to break things up occasionally when someone has turned and is kicking a sibling in the head. It's usually Leah who is the victim. Poor girl.


So 'operation unswaddle' is finally complete!!! Took long enough right? Zachary was easy. He took to it right away although he had to learn not to pull his pacifier out because I wasn't coming back. He LOVES to roll around in his crib and is a CRAZY sleeper. I went cold turkey with him. No problem at all.

Caleb took a few additional days of being unwrapped for naps but wrapped for bed. Then I slowly transitioned him to not being wrapped at all. He only had one day of terrible napping but soon got the picture. Now he likes to cuddle with a glo worm and dinosaur.

Leah took the longest. I tried several times but she just cried and cried. By the third baby, I just didn't have the patience so I just decided she would let me know when she was ready. I started wrapping her more loosely so that she could get her hands out if she wanted. That method seemed to work because every time I came in, her arms were out. So just in the last couple days I have not been wrapping her at all. I had to cut the little handle off her pacifier so there was nothing to grab. That helped as well because, like Zachary, she would immediately go for it and pull it out.

Yay that we're not swaddling babies anymore!!! Definitely helps the pain in my back. HOWEVER, as a result of this operation, Zachary has had free access to his hands and has taken to sucking his thumb.

I don't really care that he's started doing it but I HATE when we are all playing during the day and he's just lying there with his thumb in his mouth! I also hate that it's a habit that will likely continue for several years. Now if it were Caleb that started sucking his thumb I'd probably be jumping for joy because he needs something that is soothing. But alas, it is not. So I'm dealing with it. :)

I had this secret goal that I didn't want to say out loud because it may not have happened. I REALLY wanted all the babies to be sitting on their own by their 8-month birthday! Two weeks ago I was getting bummed because I was pretty sure it wasn't going to happen. Then all the sudden Leah was able to sit on her own!! It was so weird...like one day she decided to do it. So she sits unassisted while I have been working with the boys to get them on the right track. Several places I've read say that a laundry basket works wonders for the sitting muscles and creates less worry for the mom because babies won't hit their heads!


So the boys have been stuck in the basket while Leah just laughs at them! Surprisingly though, after just a few days in the basket....Caleb is able to sit unassisted right next to Leah! So I have about six days to get Zachary ready. He's really close. Just would much rather be rolling since he can cover more ground that way. Anyway, I'm really excited and it is so fun to watch them discover their world from a new perspective.

Now to each individual baby's update...

Leah:

-She obviously wins the prize for being first to sit and also being first to roll!
-She has really found her voice and definitely likes to tell her brothers what she thinks.
-She is the BEST eater of the three. Opens her mouth real wide and is ready for another bite immediately.
-She is so impatient when it comes to her bottle. You have less than three seconds after lying her down before a meltdown.
-Her nose is still an issue and runs constantly. We will get her a cat scan as she gets closer to her first birthday to see what's going on and how easily it can be fixed.
-She is SO social and smiles at everyone; however, in the past couple weeks at church while being held by someone else, she has had some of the most dramatic crying spells I've ever witnessed. I couldn't even calm her and ended up taking her outside. Not sure if stranger anxiety is setting in??
-No teeth yet. I was convinced those tops were coming through but that area is no longer red and swollen.
-She just melts our hearts and is so much fun to play with. Flails her arms and kicks her legs and recently has started scrunching her nose...maybe to show excitement. Not sure on that. So cute though.
-At eight months, she drinks 25.5 ounces of formula and eats five ounces of food each day.

Zachary:

-Seriously, the most sensitive baby you'd ever meet. Sensitive to loud noises, bright lights, scary faces, dark hair, barking dogs, wind, sun, Caleb's screaming, etc... You name it, it has made him cry at some point or another.
-He is so smiley and loves to be tickled. He wrestles with his dad and laughs the whole time.
-He is no longer on SimplyThick!! I weaned last week and he has done great for a few days. Thickener or not, he still needs help finishing each bottle because of his short attention span but he seems to be doing ok with his previous reflux issues.
-No teeth yet but he's the biggest drooler of the three.
-He rolls and rolls and rolls and rolls. I'm betting he'll be first to crawl because of his desire to move and grab things.
-He refuses to ever cuddle because of his high energy but he is so entertaining to watch and play with since he plays so well on his own.
-At eight months, he drinks 24.5 ounces of formula and eats two ounces of food each day.


Caleb:

-This kid has SO MUCH determination. Obviously we can only witness it in certain situations but if he wants to pick up a toy or turn to see something or scream his head off until he gets his food, he will do it. It is hilarious to watch. Hopefully that quality carries on through his life.
-He no longer screams incessantly! Yay!! He learned how to make raspberries with his lips and does that instead. SO MUCH BETTER.
-He is rolling front to back much more comfortably but at times has difficulty getting back because his arm is in the way.
-He takes second place in learning to sit and I'm betting he'll be the first to talk. Physical things don't seem to be his strong suit so I think he'll be the more intellectual of the three. :)
-He is so attentive to books when I read to him and seems very analytical. Just lets it all soak in.
-He is the BEST cuddler ever. Maybe because there is more to cuddle. He's got a good 5-6 pounds on Zachary. Crazy.
-At eight months he drinks 27.5 ounces of formula and eats six ounces of food everyday.

5 comments:

  1. Adorable! I should bring Addison down so you can teach her how to sit up as well! Hope to see you guys soon....let me know a good day and we'll be there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wowww... so much STUFF going on and food going in! haha i'm just amazed. i have no idea how much hazel eats and drinks... but i do know she looves bananas! =) see you soon hopefully!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every time I check you blog it seems like they have grown a ton! I have come to the conclusion that little one are like sand in your hands. You desperately try to hold on to it and keep it as it is, but it some how manages to quickly sift through your fingers. Your kids are adorable! You guys are such great parents!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know that I keep thanking you for the weekly posts, but Dad and I really cling to these weekly updates!! It truly helps us feel more connected. Even Great Grandpa and Grandma Rudd check your blog every week!!

    And our Leah...I see some pretty chubby theighs starting!! Maybe she'll catch up with her Calhoun cousins!!

    Zachary...is in good company as his Uncle Bobby sucked his thumb until he was 7 years old. (And if truth be known, still to this day likes the feel of his silky!!)

    Caleb...Mr. Cuddle is so darn cute. Yea for being #2 at the sitting race!!

    xoxoGram

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the picture of Leah laughing with the boys in the laundry basket, it's like she is heckling them!!!!

    ReplyDelete