Monday, May 16, 2011

Naps and Getting to Know Caleb

Aside from the first month of the babies being home, this period right now has been the second most difficult for me. One word:

NAPS.

I love them and hate them. The babies are in that really weird transition where they are moving from three naps a day down to two. HOWEVER, they are still not capable of staying up quite long enough to make it all the way until bedtime. If their first or second naps aren't long enough, then I run into problems. Everyday I'm faced with a napping dilemma. When they are finally ready for that third nap, it is only 1 1/2-2 hours away from their bedtime. So if I put them down, bedtime gets pushed back significantly. If I don't, I'm dealing with three overly tired babies which, at the end of the day, can make me overly tired as well. Lately I have been foregoing the third nap because 9 times out of 10, only one or two of the babies need one so even if I put whoever down, I would still have one or two awake. That would mean that the babies who stayed awake would be needing to go to bed while someone else is eating. I have found that is not a good combination. So I usually eat something, roll up my sleeves, and prepare for the last couple hours of the day to be a bit chaotic. I do move their bedtime up when I skip the third nap which results in a 5:30-5:45pm bedtime. Fine by me! Just always a risk with how early they will wake up in the morning! Any suggestions on managing naps at this age?

In another month, this will not be an issue AT ALL which is a relief. I'm definitely anxious for the transition to be over because that means their awake periods will generally be longer and we'll have a little more flexibility to our day. For now though, I'll just celebrate my daily victories of making it through those last couple hours!

This past weekend we did something our little family has never done before...

we went out to eat at a restaurant!! Of course we went during their BEST time of the day when they would be the happiest. This happened to be at 3pm so we loaded up and went to Red Robin! Since it was the afternoon there was lots of tables and room for us. The people around us were very nice and patient with all the toys the babies kept throwing on the floor. The babes were all very well behaved and really just interested in looking around. They don't get out much so anything new to look at is like gold. Of course I thoroughly wiped down the table and menus and as soon as one of those toys touched the floor it was out of play. I'm sure I'll get over my germ phobia eventually. For now I'm just the crazy, neurotic mom with all the wipes in her purse. :) We were there about 45 minutes and felt like our adventure was pretty successful. Our meals were pretty dang good also. YUM. Caleb and Clark had the BIG Whiskey River BBQ Burger with extra fries and of course campfire sauce! The picture on the table was too tempting for him.



Zachary was really confused on what he should order. He couldn't find any bottles off the menu. He ended up just eating the menu. Leah was there too, don't worry. She is watching her figure so we just split a Whiskey River BBQ Wrap! Just didn't snap a picture of her unfortunately.

This past week I asked Clark which baby he laughed at the most. He said all of them but I think that's just because he felt bad choosing someone. I said I probably laugh at Caleb the most. It could be the fact that he is the most loud, vocal, and animated. They all three have adorable personalities but his is just a little more obvious because of his outbursts, screaming, and outward interest in everything. He's the only baby that really sits and concentrates on things. During one of Clark's lunches, we set up Skype and had each baby sit at the computer. The other two didn't really pay attention and just looked at other things but Caleb was in a trance. He couldn't take his eyes off the screen and was trying so hard to figure out what was going on. So funny!


I built him a necklace so he would have something to suck on at any given moment. He seemed to like it!


He is definitely the biggest toy monger. He has gigantic paws so that's definitely an advantage. Poor Leah never stands a chance against him. Whenever I sit him in the triplet table and give someone else the baby laptop, it's hilarious because he gets filled with all his toy envy and goes for it. This video is short but it is so funny and around our house it is known as "the grab". We sure do love this kid.





Lastly, I caught this video a couple days ago at the end of Leah and Zachary's conversation. Clark said if you close your eyes and play the video it sounds like two dolphins.

Can anyone translate baby?


2 comments:

  1. YES, I CAN TRANSLATE BABY TALK!!!

    Leah is telling her Mama: "I want to go to Gram and Papa's house."

    BZ: "Oh Leah,that sounds like so much fun. I just want to go with you everywhere because I love it when you put your fingers in my mouth... and just as long as we can hold hands we can promise dad and mom we will be brave on the airplane ride....and your shirt, Leah...wow, it is just too cute!" (Of course, just like his dad, BZ is thinking of 4 different ideas at once!) But...his most important thought is..."I bet if I sound like a Dolphin it will make dad and mom think of the ocean...then the ocean will remind them of California....California will help them think of Gram and Papa and the Monterey Bay Aquarium where the Dolphins live. Hurry....let's make more Dolphin noises!!"

    xoxoxGram

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I love Marty's comment! Sorry about the whole nap thing...I'm still working with Addison's as well because they are so unpredictable and it's hard when the last nap is too close to bedtime...at least it won't last too much longer!

    ReplyDelete