Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Did That Seriously Just Happen??

I keep asking myself that about my summer and all the time I spent in the hospital. I now have the knees and joints of a 90-year old and can't use my back and neck muscles for very long before they get fatigued. Combine that with swollen ankles and c-section pain and I'm a hot mess!

However, it all seriously happened. Fast and furiously. I'd still be counting down until my scheduled c-section if our little Zachary hadn't caused so much commotion! :) Clark did a good post of all our excitement and today it's the triplet's one-week birthday! Lots has happened in just one week so I'm going to try and keep up with it all and document what I can.

Well, nothing can prepare you for leaving your new babies at the hospital and coming home empty handed. Although coming home after 10 weeks was pretty monumental, it felt wrong. I was admitted to the hospital so unexpectedly and have been totally consumed with this pregnancy for so long. So driving away without any babies in my belly or in their car seats....just felt wrong. Heartbreaking. Clark and my Dad had cleaned and prepped the house so it looked spic and span. I also had a gorgeous bouquet of roses on the table. I toured the house looking at all the wonderful projects Clark had completed while I was gone. Pretty amazing. All in all it was a good homecoming.

After the c-section I was totally out of it. Once my epidural wore off Clark took me down to the NICU but I couldn't keep my eyes open for more than 5-10 minutes. The nurses there were totally overloading me with information too so I didn't get much out of that first visit. We've been back everyday though and it's fun to see how quickly they change, progress, and how much more we love them everyday.

All babies were immediately put on CPAP to help them breathe right away but were taken off about 48 hours later. Little Leah wore a nasal cannula for a few days to give a little bit of oxygen to remind her to breathe. She no longer has that or her IV so the only wires stuck to her are the monitor wires and feeding tube! She has the normal preemie apnea and dips in her heart rate but she always resolves it herself. She is now big enough to wear a t-shirt and be swaddled and I think that has made her a little happier. She loves to have her binki and her hands near her face which makes me think that's how they were in utero. She's doing great and looks just like her mama! I try to do kangaroo care (skin to skin holding) with her every morning and she seems to like being close and warm with me.

Weight: 3 lbs 11 oz

She, along with the others have lost weight since arriving but are slowly gaining it back.


Grandpa Nelson




Zachary, the smallest, is feisty and doing so well! He had to be on photo therapy for a couple days because his bilirubin levels were high but those have resolved and he doesn't have to wear those terrible eye covers. I think he liked being under the light though, getting his skin all tan. The light certainly made all his hair very noticable! Boy is he hairy. He likes to stretch his legs out and is REALLY strong. He, like Leah, is just hooked up to the monitors and a feeding tube. No more IV! I felt so bad that they all had to have IV's and be poked so many times. My nurse prepping me for surgery failed on her IV twice!! The third one finally worked but seriously, it wasn't pleasant so I'm glad these guys no longer have them. Zachary likes his binki too and seems to have the sucking mechanism down. He has the least bouts of apnea and heart dips and we're always so surprised with how he's doing considering he is the smallest.

Weight: 3 lbs 5 oz





Last, but NOT least, is Caleb. Some of the same story for him. No IV but still hooked up to feeding tube and monitors. Normal preemie apneas and heart dips. Because of his weight he's able to wear real clothes and was actually taken out of the isolette to an open crib. However, he had difficulty maintaining his own body temperature so today he was put back in the isolette. That's fine with me. I want him to be nice and toasty warm. He tries with a bottle twice a day. Sometimes he's into it, other times he's so sleepy that he forgets to breathe. So depending on how alert he is dictates whether we try the bottle. He could care less about the binki and seems to be able to soothe himself well enough without it. He's very mellow and rarely cries. Just sleeps....ALOT! He eats twice as much as the other two and is doing great. So cute...and smells so good. We kangaroo'd today and he was out!

Weight: 4 lbs 8 oz





The little white thing in my shirt is called a cuddle doll. You stick them against your skin for a while and then put them close to the babies nose so they can smell their mom and dad. I smell it and can't smell anything but apparently they can! :) None of them will be coming home very soon but they are all stable for now and we are moving forward!

10 comments:

  1. JOJO!!! What a change. They look great, you look great, and I cannot wait to meet them someday. Keep hanging in there, I am sure those are not fun days spent in the hospital, but at least your beautiful babies are now visible. Keep up the good work, I am sure they will be home before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh JoSue, Your account about going home without the babies is hard to read. I'm glad there were lots of surprises and roses too to brighten your mood!!
    These pictures are precious (I'm a little jealous seeing your Dad snuggling a baby and I'm so far away~~) I see a little bit of both you and Clark in their faces...a good mix. We love you kids and can't wait to see the Ruddlets. xoxoxoMOM/Gram

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a special time, Grampa len is a very lucky man! We are so jealous not be there with these little ones and you and Clark as well! I know you feel 90 but you look like a million! I can't wait to come visit. We love you all sooo much. Papa/Daddy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your babies are beautiful! Congratulations!!!

    -Amy Locke
    (PAMOM Expectant MOMs committee)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jo,
    I remember that awful empty feeling of going home without a baby! The only comfort is knowing that they are in the best possible hands. C-section recovery is a different ball game! Glad you are able to get some rest. I know that it's hard to actually feel rested when your mind is with them! Between that and the frequent trips to the hospital I'm sure you are exhausted! The only silver lining right now in them not being home is that you can get uninterrupted sleep at night. Once they get home you are going to need every ounce of strength just to keep up (especially if any of them are like Clark!). Thank you for this post, it's so good to hear how everything is going when we are so far away! Since I can't be there to snuggle those cutie pies, it's nice to see pictures! We love you, Clark, Leah, Zach, and Caleb so much! We are glad to hear that everyone (including you) is progressing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two steps forward and one step back. They'll do it and you'll all be home before you know it. You will get your strength back in time. Happy one week birthday Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sooo sweet. Can't wait to hold them! Glad you're doing better... each day is an achievement!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute X 3!!!!!!!!!! I'm so sorry you had to watch them put on IV's at first...that is the worst! We had to do that with Beckham when he was in the hospital (at two weeks) with RSV. I swear one nurse poked him like 5 times and then had to bring down the "pro" RN to insert the IV. I was like, "ummmmmmm, can the "pro" just do it the first time so you don't hurt my baby anymore you psycho?!? Thanks!" I bet it was even worse for you're little ones since they probably have smaller veins. I'm glad to hear they are doing so well now though! Congratualtions again, we are SOOO happy for you all! I can't believe that in one pregnancy you know have a family that is bigger than ours! They are all so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats you guys! We are so excited for you guys. So happy that all is going well so far! So, I know that yal are super busy- but Jon is in Dallas for work for the rest of the month and I told him he needs to contact you guys. I hope that will be okay. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those babies are seriously so beautiful! I have rarely seen such pretty newborns!

    ReplyDelete