Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Five More Days...

Zachary, our smallest, was going to surprise us all and be the first one to come home tomorrow!!

We were just on our way out the door tonight to head to the hospital. I was going to 'room in' and spend the night with Zachary in a separate room free from monitors and see how everything went but still having the nurses close by. Literally as we were out the door the hospital called and said he had just had a dip in his heart rate. Shouldn't be a big deal right? Well in NICU land this buys you FIVE MORE DAYS at the hospital. He had previously gone seven days without an episode and happened to misbehave tonight. Honestly though, I'm not upset. I was excited but the other two are still there so it's not a big deal. He's obviously telling us he's not ready.

When we THOUGHT he'd be coming home soon, he had to pass a car-seat test. It was hilarious to see him in his car seat....all 3 lbs 15 oz of him. He had to sit in it for 90 minutes without any episodes and also keep his oxygen saturation high.



He passed with flying colors as did Caleb. Caleb had a dip in his heart rate yesterday morning so he's stuck there until at least Saturday if he behaves. So Leah is the front runner for coming home next! She has gone two days with no episodes so we'll see. As for her mystery chin lump, it's been concluded that it is an 'abcess' full of inflammatory cells but free from bacteria. This means no serious infection. She is still receiving antibiotics and will probably come home on them. Once the doctors feel the lump is decreasing in size, they will take the IV out and start giving the medications in her bottle. The ENT who took the biopsy also examined her left nostril because they haven't been able to put a feeding tube down it. Apparently the opening back in her nasal cavity is too small and will probably need to be surgically opened. Just like her Dad, she'll have little ability to breath out of one nostril. The other one is fine so this issue is not an emergency and surgery can wait.

In good news, all babies no longer have feeding tubes because they are all taking bottles for every feeding! YES! Also, they all passed their hearing tests and had clean head ultrasounds.

Like I said, there is so much good happening and so much disappointment. It's hard to be in the NICU seeing all the other parents taking their babies home. I'm ready to be free from nurses and do things our own way here. Not for at least five more days though. :)

Here's a cute picture of the boys conspiring to see who will go home first...

11 comments:

  1. hey, is that ashy's blanket on the boys? Those are some bright polka dots they are laying on! You will want to bring your own pillow for the trial run sleepover too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I thought for sure that Caleb would come home first since he is the biggest. I guess weight has nothing to do with it. Hope they all come home very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy...Zachary does look tiny in that carseat!! It helps me tho to get an idea just how little he is. I'm glad Leah's lump turned out to be something minor, but I'm sorry about the nostril thing. I know that drives Clark crazy! Loves to all, xoxoMOM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember after going the NICU for 2 months being ready for my boys to come home. It hit me really hard on Halloween night. It was time for them to come home in my mind. They did come home 4 days after that. Your whole family will be home soon. Just a few more days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE these pics- ALL of them, AND the ones below. I've been trying to comment on this post (and the one below) for a day or so, but without success. DANG internet (we're still without it- I survive off the faint signal I'm getting from somewhere else). It's SO great to hear that your babes are ALL doing so well and SO close to coming home! Then the FUN really begins! :) And I loved that pic of your huge milk supply. We took up a huge self in the freezer of the NICU when Madi was there (but I wasn't smart enough to take a picture). When we got to take her home they sent all the milk with us in a huge diaper bag. But then we moved 3 weeks later and sadly ALL the milk had to be dumped. It was too hard for me to do so I think Spencer did it. I thought about selling it- probably could have made a pretty penny, but then I thought it might be a little weird. Anyways, we're thinking of you guys. Missing you. WIsh we lived closer. Keep the pics and posts coming! I love reading the updates! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my gosh, I can't believe they are going home so soon! Yay!!! I was expecting longer...but that's awesome! I am sooo glad that Leah's lump is okay. So, I realized that you didn't name your little girl Hannah...did Leah just fit better?! We could of had twin girlies! :) I guess she is already a triplet :). Can't wait to talk to you and see you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. omg, that is the tiniest little squirt that i have even seen in a car seat! glad to hear they are doing so well! they will be home soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you're so close! i can't believe you have 3 babies! i'm just so thrilled for you guys over and over again every time i read a post on here. get some good sleep for the next 5 days! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You guys have a great little family! I'm super pyched that the kids will be able to come home soon. I can only imagine how excited you both are to have a house of five.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, truly amazing. I'm so glad they're all doing well. I love reading all the updates, keep them coming:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't believe how well your sweet babies are doing! That is such great news! I love the picture of your boys conspiring and the one of little zachary in his car seat, he is impossibly tiny! We keep you guys in our prayers, hope you get to take those munchkins home soon!

    ReplyDelete