Well I do!! About 55 oz every 24 hours to be exact. I take up the whole bottom half of the freezer at the hospital! Right now I'm keeping up with the babies daily feeding needs but eventually they will pass me up and we'll need to supplement with formula. Plus I don't know if I'll be able to keep up with the demanding pumping schedule once they come home. I'll need the extra 4-5 hours of my day!
The babies are progressing and growing well. Their current weights are:
35 weeks
Leah: 4 lbs 4 oz
Zachary: 3 lbs 12 oz
Caleb: 5 lbs 8 oz
Right now we are working on increasing their number of feedings from a bottle. We don't want to push them to far too fast because they will burn up all the calories and won't gain weight. Surprisingly enough, Zachary is going to surpass the other two with the amount of bottles he takes! He's been doing great. Here's a snapshot of the little man after we just filled his belly...
As any parent would know who has had their baby(s) in the NICU for an extended period of time, there are good days and bad days. Some days the kids will doing well with their feedings and it seems like they are close to coming home. Other days they regress and have more dips in their heart rates. We had a really exciting day a few days ago when the nurse put all the babies together in an open crib!! Here's the babies behind bars...
Don't worry, the front of the crib doesn't have bars. This picture is from the side. I just think it's funny. Anyway, that was a fun day and all the babies held their temperatures well. Caleb, the biggest, had to be between the two others to stay warm! We always have a good laugh at him.
Yesterday while I was feeding Leah, I noticed a hard abscess underneath her chin. I had the nurse feel it and she seemed concerned so she called the Doctor. He seemed equally concerned and immediately ordered blood work and an ultrasound to get a better idea of what it is. Of course, like most things with preemies, the results still raised some uncertainty as to whether it is an abscess, salivary gland, cyst, lymph node, or a myriad of other things. We then had a surgeon come consult then an Ear, Nose, Throat (ENT) specialist came and looked as well. She's been very popular. Just to be sure before a diagnosis can be made, she was started on antibiotics just in case there is infection in there. Soooo, she has an IV in her head again which I HATE. On Monday the ENT will do a biopsy to get a better feel for what's in there although those results still might be inconclusive. I just feel so bad for her and get frustrated with the uncertainty. However, the lump doesn't seem to be affecting her eating, sucking, or breathing so that is good.
Here she is with that terrible thing in her head. Apparently the veins are better up there for an IV.
So another day concludes. She is no longer with the boys and is in her own bed. We're hoping we can get some answers but holy cow...stress a mom out!
No idea as to when they will come home so for now, I still can't quite break away from that hospital! Clark will be glad when he doesn't have to drive there anymore. Oh....I finally saw Eclipse. Loved it!
What the @#$$? Are you stealing milk from someone else?
ReplyDeleteCrackin up! Our freezer looked like that too. Do not torture yourself with pumping. Try for as long as you can. I lasted 7 weeks with my triplets I will come see you soon!
ReplyDeleteHey! Thanks for the pictures and update. I remember when Logan was in the hospital. His veins kept collapsing with the constant IV use and I remember the nurses telling me that if it happened one more time....he was out of arms and legs to use, so they'd have to go for the veins in his head. They even had the "perfect" one all picked out! I was so thankful he never had to have that! Sweet Leah...poor you! I remember that stress all too well! And you have it times 3!!! Hopefully she will be done with that soon! At 35 weeks, Caleb is just a few ounces smaller than his older cousin, Logan. Isn't that amazing! They are all growing so well! We love them and you so much!
ReplyDelete....and btw....you are a milk MACHINE! That's freakin awesome! I remember filling my fridge up and the nurses from the NICU asking me about donating! I not only had tons of milk, but it was like straight cream! Good for fattening up those premies! I totally would have donated, except you have to go through this whole screening process that I just didn't have the time for!
Wow, way to go on the milk. I hated pumping when I went back to work, so I can feel your pain - to an extent. I definitely never put out 55 oz in a day or 2. So kudos to you for going the distance for the babies. You'll have to tell them about all the sacrifices you made for them when they get to be teenagers.
ReplyDeleteGlad to see the babies are growing and healthy. Hope Leah checks out okay sooner than later. Love all the pictures!!
Sorry to hear about Leah...and with Clark out of town...I'm sure that probably adds to your stress. I think your mom is there now, so hopefully you're feeling the extra love only a mother can give!!
ReplyDeleteWe love you all and hope there is nothing to that thing under Leah's chin. Let us know.
Loved the pic of all of them in the same bed. When we were setting up the nursery I guess we didn't need to rush on 3 cribs after all:)
xoxoxoDad and Mom
Your babies are so precious, we'll pray they keep on getting fat and closer to going home! By the way, kudos on the milk supply, that is very impressive. I still haven't seen Eclipse, can't leave the wee babe!
ReplyDeletecongrats JoSue! Your babies are so cute! :)
ReplyDeleteI LOVE to read your updates on the babies - they are ADORABLE!!! Your NICU stories, photos & experiences remind me of our own twin days in the NICU. Good luck on everything & great job on producing milk!
ReplyDeletelove,
Dana Thompson